Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What version removed the underground rivers/abundant Magma tubes/pools?  (Read 1474 times)

JhnKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been enjoying the game, but after reading stories such as the infamous Boatmurdered, or Headshoots, or Battlefailed, I decided to revert to an earlier version to nab the more interesting underground liquids that didn't require drilling to the Magma Sea. I've started in version .31.25, but do I need to regress farther to see these?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What version removed the underground rivers/abundant Magma tubes/pools?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 10:50:11 pm »

Boatmurdered used version 0.22.110.22f, but the last 2D version (the one with the predefined cave river, chasm and magma sea) is 0.23.130.23a, which probably has fewer bugs. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:52:44 pm by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

JhnKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 10:54:34 pm »

Ahhhh. Well then, going to go for that - Classic mode is going to be awesome fun. Thanks!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 11:40:27 am »

I've been enjoying the game, but after reading stories such as the infamous Boatmurdered, or Headshoots, or Battlefailed, I decided to revert to an earlier version to nab the more interesting underground liquids that didn't require drilling to the Magma Sea. I've started in version .31.25, but do I need to regress farther to see these?

The last version with the underground rivers, underground lakes, magma pools, and magma pipes was 40d.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 12:25:45 pm »

Actually, magma tubes are fairly common in the current version. Rarely do i need to go to the magma sea, i almost always fins a tube
in the caverns.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

JhnKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 11:32:56 pm »

Actually, magma tubes are fairly common in the current version. Rarely do i need to go to the magma sea, i almost always fins a tube
in the caverns.
That's probably why I can't find one - I'm not that advanced of a player, so surviving ambushes and sieges, or hell, just getting my military to actually WORK is a challenge for me. This also means that whenever I find a cavern I tend to avoid it like the plague and wall it off, and usually my fort will die before I'm ready to descend into its depths.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 11:06:29 am »

in the caverns.
That's probably why I can't find one - I'm not that advanced of a player, so surviving ambushes and sieges, or hell, just getting my military to actually WORK is a challenge for me. This also means that whenever I find a cavern I tend to avoid it like the plague and wall it off, and usually my fort will die before I'm ready to descend into its depths.

You could turn up volcanism some and increase volcanoes and do a volcano embark for magma access closer to the surface.

JhnKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 09:21:21 pm »

in the caverns.

You could turn up volcanism some and increase volcanoes and do a volcano embark for magma access closer to the surface.
Ahhh, I forgot you could increase the chance of Volcanoes. That will make things a bit more interesting with fire Imps - Perhaps a squad of speardwarves with two-three civvies would be a cool embark! Thanks for the info!

EDIT - Actually, which way does the value go for increasing volcanism? I think it's down seeing as I remember one part of worldgen having that backwards logic

EDIT EDIT - NEvermind, I was stupid and didn't see the min/max values : P
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 09:51:32 pm by JhnKing »

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 10:53:55 am »

You don't need to increase volcanism, just increase minimun number of volcanoes.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 11:11:30 am »

You don't need to increase volcanism, just increase minimun number of volcanoes.

Well, if you don't want the volcanoes to be all clustered up, yeah you should increase the volcanism variance.

The settings I like to use is to put the number of volcanoes to max (this is for a medium sized world, you may not want as many in a smaller world) set volcanism variance for both axises to max and for the volcanism weighted range, I use [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:5:10000:0:0:0:1] to get as much sedimentary rock as I can. You can tweak the volcanism weighted ranges and mesh to your preferences.

JhnKing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 07:47:11 pm »

Thanks! I'll have to try it out, see if I can get a decent embark with a volcano rolling then.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 08:05:30 pm »

in the caverns.

I've only found one out of hundreds of embarks.

EDIT: Although I've never played in a temperate area, it's either cold or warm-hot.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 11:30:18 am »

There are usually plenty in my world gens. Setting the volcanism variation to max probably has something to do with it.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 12:24:32 pm »

There are usually plenty in my world gens. Setting the volcanism variation to max probably has something to do with it.

I usually play on default.