Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to Dwarf: Securing Booze  (Read 2842 times)

Volfgarix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dwarf: Securing Snacks
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 12:48:29 pm »

The init file is completely same!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dwarf: Securing Snacks
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 01:14:12 am »

PTW the awesomeness.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dwarf: Securing Booze and Stone
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 03:28:46 am »

So when were we gonna get those first drops of delicious, creamy sweet pod-
Alright, Urist, focus.  Booze.  We need booze.
...I like booze.
Alright, good.  Let's get started.  First, you, go digging.  We can't make a fortress in this... dirt.  Take us down to get into some actual stone so we can live like proper dwarves!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Alright I'm digging the thing what's next for the booze syrup?
Well, we're gonna take some of that stone ye mined up, and make some workshops.
That's great, what else do we need?
Just the stone.  What do you think a workshop is anyways, one of those nably-pambly human huts with all the tools and benches and shit?  Urist we be Dwarves.  Ye've got a beard, ye can do the job.  This here stone just lets everyone know what this area's set aside to be used for.
When the construction is done, press 'q' to select it (the same way as the farm!) and 'a' to add a task.  We want stone blocks, and we want a lot of them.  So add the task for blocks, and then press 'r' to leave it on repeat.  The mason will now produce blocks until he runs out of stones!
Alright, so, do we... drink the stone?
What?  No!  What are you even talking about?
We're working on booze right?
We... will build the still next, to make the booze.
Oh, right right.
Once your carpenter is built, produce some beds.  I'm building 9 of them, so they'll fit in the same footprint as a workshop and accommodate the size of these starting rooms.  When those are produced, add some barrels to the list.  If you run out of wood, simply order some wood to be chopped on the surface (d-designate, t-fell trees) and simply cover some area of land by using shift+arrow keys to order a vague number of trees to be retrieved.  By default jobs, your farmer is also your brewer, and your woodcutter, so expect some of these orders to take a little time.  Luckily, the dwarf who turns logs into wooden products is a different dwarf, and will work while your farmer is cutting down trees.

After producing a few barrels, and perhaps waiting on some crops to mature, order drinks from the still (using the 'q' menu, this is one you'll use a lot!) and enjoy your first homemade wine!  With a farm and still secured, your fortress will now survive, so long as you order more drinks to be produced every so often, and leave invaders turned off.

Next: Utilizing DFHack and Dwarf Therapist to shuffle jobs and automate drink and food stocks.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dwarf: Securing Booze
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 09:41:21 pm »

A single 10x10 farm plot is ludicrously huge.  I'd make a bunch of 2x2 plots instead (where "a bunch" is four of them to start with, then more as population increases), but that's just me.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How to Dwarf: Securing Booze
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 10:42:46 pm »

A single 10x10 farm plot is ludicrously huge.  I'd make a bunch of 2x2 plots instead (where "a bunch" is four of them to start with, then more as population increases), but that's just me.
Perhaps, but it ensures future survival without extra effort or future mussing.  I'll likely also change it later to produce cloth + dye half the year, and two different booze-capable plants to prevent "tired of the same old booze".  Right now it's simple, and that's the key.
Pages: 1 [2]