Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Levers not working properly  (Read 660 times)

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Levers not working properly
« on: January 28, 2014, 04:42:55 pm »

Hi, I'm new to DF, just started my 2nd fortress(after utterly failing the first one of course because I hadn't made any proper military :D).
So, I'm trying to make a well water source, and I've dug out the infrastructure, built the bridges(the wiki says they work better than floodgates) but whenever I try to link the lever to a bridge(pressing b) it switches my view to the surface and deselects the lever, I can't select the bridge.

Any way to get around this? Or advice on how to build a proper well?

Also, any advice on getting rid of fungus? it's everywhere....

Cheers

Dan Duncombe

• Bay Watcher
  • DwarfCorp, Established Since 24!
    • View Profile
Re: Levers not working properly
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 04:45:07 pm »

Well, when you set the task for the lever of adding a new bridge, I believe it zooms to the nearest bridge. On the right of the screen I believe there will be a menu of available bridges that you can scroll through with either the arrow keys or + and - keys, can't remember which. Hit enter when you are on the right bridge and you should be good to go. Also, make sure that it is a raising bridge, not a retracting one!

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 05:06:26 pm »

That is the issue, when I press b for the list of bridges it tries to zoom me to the first ever bridge at the entrance to my courtyard but halfway it loses the lever menu and I can't assign any bridge. Any solution? Is there a way to temporarily disable mouse control from in-game until I can set the lever? Seems to be related to mouse control.

Thanks

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 05:07:51 pm »

Can't help with the lever (only just figured them out for real this fortress) but for fungus, build a floor and it'll go away. Smooth/engrave walls if it's on them, etc.
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 05:44:14 pm »

That is the issue, when I press b for the list of bridges it tries to zoom me to the first ever bridge at the entrance to my courtyard but halfway it loses the lever menu and I can't assign any bridge. Any solution? Is there a way to temporarily disable mouse control from in-game until I can set the lever? Seems to be related to mouse control.

Thanks

You do not need the lever menu at that point. You have selected "link to bridge" so the lever menu goes away, and the bridge selection menu comes up. Simply use the selection keys to zoom to the bridge you want linked, and press enter.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 05:46:11 pm »

You can also disable mouse control in init.txt.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 05:56:36 pm »

The bridge selection menu opens for 0.1 s then the view snaps to ground level, and exits the menu. I can't select any bridges to link. I only have about 5 bridges...2 of them already linked...That's my issue. Is this a bug?

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 06:39:15 pm »

Ok, disabling the mousequery track using DFhack worked. Seems mouse is incompatible with lever linking menu.

Cheers