Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: They don't have a cave troll.  (Read 950 times)

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
They don't have a cave troll.
« on: November 15, 2007, 08:37:00 pm »

Anyone notice that sieging goblins are failing to bring in the heavy artillery these days? Is this a bug or unintentional side effect of all the backstage movement?

I like sieges, even if the goblins don't stand a chance. To make it fair I've been (ugh) marching my dwarves to fight them on the field.

Vanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: They don't have a cave troll.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 12:09:00 am »

They're completely bugged in this version, they don't even have AI right now.

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 04:26:00 am »

Saying that they don't have an AI right now is completely wrong. AFAIK they have exactly the same AI they always have. It's just that because there's no longer a fixed start point, and a fixed fortress location, they don't march up to your gates, because they don't know where it is.

Regarding the trolls, I've not yet had a siege this version, but I've heard others say that trolls will arrive sometimes.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 05:01:00 am »

The goblins will only bring cave trolls if their home civ has access to them.
Same goes for beak dogs.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 06:11:00 am »

I wonder what determines the availability of Trolls.

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 07:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nukeitall:
<STRONG>I wonder what determines the availability of Trolls.</STRONG>

Presence of discussion forums usually.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 08:33:00 am »

I have a siege, it's feeling kinda lame. The goblins are just standing about and muttering to themselves, and my dwarves are locked in.

I wonder when they'll leave? The goblins, I mean.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Vanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 08:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Morlark:
<STRONG>Saying that they don't have an AI right now is completely wrong. AFAIK they have exactly the same AI they always have. It's just that because there's no longer a fixed start point, and a fixed fortress location, they don't march up to your gates, because they don't know where it is.

Regarding the trolls, I've not yet had a siege this version, but I've heard others say that trolls will arrive sometimes.</STRONG>

Not entirely, it's been noted that they don't have an AI because the one that was written for sieges is not connected up right now.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 08:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nukeitall:
<STRONG>I wonder what determines the availability of Trolls.</STRONG>

I assume a biome that trolls live in which is... chasm only. Maybe that's the problem? some gobbos don't have access to a chasm to get trolls from? just a guess.

FWIW I've never, ever seen goblins bring beak dogs, in the old version or this version.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 10:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mickel:
<STRONG>I have a siege, it's feeling kinda lame. The goblins are just standing about and muttering to themselves, and my dwarves are locked in.

I wonder when they'll leave? The goblins, I mean.</STRONG>

You can use teleport.exe to get them to attack or get them to leave.

ATTACK: Teleport all the squad leaders (the elites, usually) into or near to your fortress. The other members will run to their squad leader, just like your dwarves do.
LEAVE: Teleport half or so of them about 7 stories up into the air. They'll die on landing, and one of the triggers for ending a siege is casualties (the other is time).

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 10:24:00 am »

There should probably be a little more to their behavior, but I've found that the goblins just hanging around the outskirts is actually a more successful strategy than in the previous version.  And more siegey.  They don't automatically funnel through your trapped front gate, or along your nicely prepared corridors of death.  No, they sit outside, dicing up caravans and wild animals, and pincushioning any dwarves who come out to pick up items.  And their usually numerous archers are pretty deadly against dwarven armies in the open field.

Ideally, they should maybe hang out for a few in-game months, before organizing some concerted assault.  Perhaps they should use valuable items as targets for where your fortress center is, or bedrooms, or just dwarf density.

And yeah, trolls, beak dogs, maybe even some portable catapults (like wagons maybe?) would be cool too.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 11:44:00 am »

Armies leave when out of ammo. Draft enough cannonfodder and you will win either way.

That or lure a kobold ambushing party into the main siege(this results in the kobolds butchering enough goblins to force a retreat with their chaingun "bows" and running out of ammo on their own most likely"

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 09:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>Armies leave when out of ammo. Draft enough cannonfodder and you will win either way.</STRONG>

"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 06:20:00 am »

Yep sieges were pretty much useless in the old version, but its even worse now.
It was ridicolously easy to kill any invading armies without a SINGLE loss, now they dont even bring trolls. I havent seen a single troll either.
Not that they would make any difference, simple stonefall traps are enough to destroy all of the invaders easily.
Something should be done with invasions...they should be fun. Perhaps like it was mentioned before the invaders should have special units to disable traps, or make tunnels to your fort...or something.