Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What do you look for in an embark site? (vanilla/LNP)  (Read 1172 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Re: What do you look for in an embark site? (vanilla/LNP)
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 11:57:11 am »

I can definitely confirm that copper weapons occasionally pierce superior-metal armor. Obviously the numbers are against you, but it's not a lost cause.

Even the first caravan will carry enough iron or steel to upgrade the weapons on at least a couple of your dwarves, if you buy and melt anvils. They'll also often have a bar or two of tin, which will net you a bit of bronze on a copper-ore embark.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 12:25:23 pm »

Copper also makes pretty darn good blunt weapons and bolts :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 02:11:36 am »

Does the site have enemies? I'll settle there.

I usually do a quick site finder with River=Yes or Aquifer=Yes first, because I like guaranteed infinite water, but it doesn't feel mandatory anymore.

Then I pray to Armok for sand, because of my magma glassforge addiction, but I usually get Sandy Clay Loam or similar. Oh well. Creating a tile of sand just takes enough cave-ins, and Armok knows I'm a sucker for 'A section of the cavern has collapsed!'.

I used to be really picky with the site finder before I discovered the joy of hardship and losing. Now I look around the map for a spot that looks interesting--manually after the enemies+water check.
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 10:44:42 am »

1. Evil biome
2. Nearby necromancer tower
3. iron-bearing ore
4. bituminous coal/lignite
5. flux stone
6. drinkable water source(river/brook/stream/lake)

Reasoning: there's always !FUN!. I also really like steel
Pages: 1 [2]