Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Linux server: again  (Read 509 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Linux server: again
« on: February 24, 2014, 10:33:51 am »

Hi all!

The laptop I used for my linux server was pretty awesome, but its hard drive got multiple sector faults so I had to shut it down.
Now I'm looking for a replacement! o.o

I'm on the fence if I should buy a used PC for ~$400, hosted at my dad's university, buy a brand-new one, or rent a VPS. The problem with the VPS is that if I want decent processing speed I need to pay quite a bit of monies.

How should I go about determining which option is the one for me? I think I want to use it for hosting a webserver, an IRC bouncer, maybe hosting game servers, and hosting the application I've been slowly building the past few months. x:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
Re: Linux server: again
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 11:54:08 am »

Why not just buy a new hard drive? They aren't particularly expensive even if it is out of date like a PATA one.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 12:53:34 pm »

Going by a quick search, most replacement hard drives cost more than the laptop itself...

Plus, the laptop was a tad slow anyways, and I was looking for an excuse to upgrade >_> seeing that it's a netbook, it has 1.8 GHz CPU with Turbo on, and always runs hot since all it has is an itty bitty fan.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 02:19:24 pm »

I've been having fun on the AWS free tier.  Then again, I'm about to run out of my free year, and yes, it might get pricey after that.  Depending on your application and the demands of the game server, it might be enough for you.
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:51:53 pm »

I'd google for "small home server pc", and you'll get a few interesting hits. It doesn't need to have accessories... you can install an OS once and then SSH into it :) You probably will save a lot from not having to have a monitor, portability, battery, etc! I think I came across some technical articles reviewing these kinds of offerings a while back :)