Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merchant Immigrant  (Read 656 times)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Merchant Immigrant
« on: December 03, 2013, 07:35:22 pm »

I recently got a merchant immigrant. He was stuck at the side of the map and was marked as "friendly" on the others tab of the creatures screen, with the profession of merchant. I went over to him and used v to check him, then used the dfhack command tweak fixmigrant. I got the message "ownership for 6 clothes has been fixed". I tried again, then did it on his profile screen and through the "k" view menu. I then tried again with tweak makeown. Every time I entered one of these commands, I just got  "ownership for 0 clothes has been fixed". Eventually, I did slayrace him on him to let the rest of the migrants in. Why did this happen? Why did dfhack not work? Thanks!
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Immigrant
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 07:43:14 pm »

Eithe tweak makeown or fixmigrant do work, but he'll still sit there for a bit before moving on, either until his migrant status is gone or he just decides to blunder along on his own, permitting the others through.

Seems anyone who arrives with appraiser skill of 3 or greater glitches out like that if they have no other skills/no skills higher than that.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 08:11:23 pm »

You can also claim and dump an item of their clothing. In the process of entering the migrant's square to take the clothes, the other dwarf will sometimes nudge the buggy migrant out of the way.

Do the other skills have to be profession skills, or will combat skills do?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:26:20 pm »

Combat will do, I have a dwarf in Bogclasps that is listed as a trader as a migrant but his mace dwarf is higher than the appraiser skill.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:40:54 pm »

There was one time when I got about 10 of those guys in a row, for three migrants waves in a row.

Then they all bum rushed the depot when the caravan came, and then all left with it.
I was very confused at first.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 05:36:37 pm »

Eithe tweak makeown or fixmigrant do work, but he'll still sit there for a bit before moving on, either until his migrant status is gone or he just decides to blunder along on his own, permitting the others through.

Seems anyone who arrives with appraiser skill of 3 or greater glitches out like that if they have no other skills/no skills higher than that.
It did not work. It just said something about how the ownership for some clothes was fixed, and he stayed in the others category. He did not have the flashing "migrant" X on him when he arrived or after I used those two commands.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:38:26 pm by someone12345 »
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:01:55 pm »

Turn on some other labor for him after using tweak fixmigrant. I turn on woodcutting so they go to look for an axe.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 07:06:33 pm »

Turn on some other labor for him after using tweak fixmigrant. I turn on woodcutting so they go to look for an axe.
I will do that next time, but I had already done slayrace him on him before posting this.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 09:39:11 pm »

From what I saw in the OP, there wasn't anything wrong. They will hang around in the spot for a while until they get a job (which can include going to the meeting area, which is either designated areas or where the wagon is/was).

I believe how it works is it first confirms they are of the fort's race, and if they are, marks them as being local and makes all their clothes probably unforbidden, then reports how many clothing items were changed. But when you ran it further times, it uselessly made them local again (a no-op), and marked all forbidden clothes as unforbidden...but you already did that, so it didn't fix any clothes and reported 0.

When would be the best time for the Hammerer to come around?
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.