Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Little random things that pop in your head while playing  (Read 2848 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Little random things that pop in your head while playing
« on: November 27, 2013, 04:17:50 pm »

So I get back from a few rounds of SS13 and decide to update my version of Masterwork DF. I play with the settings, gen a new world, blah blah blah, and find a great embark site near a very savage volcano.

Since I know there are some dangerous new civs in Masterwork, I take an extra miner and extra supplies so that I can dig faster and make an entrance that will stand the test of time. Well, wouldn't you know it, this fort begins to thrive after a couple years and I am beginning to near 100 dwarves, so I begin scouting for a military commander.

..... You, Sisal Imushvesh. You have no skills whatsoever and are a male. Perfect.
So I begin filling out the z-level I designated as the "military" level and task the workers towards gearing our new commander. I have our legendary armorsmith (he had a good mood and made a nice iron helm earlier) begin making full steel plate and steel mail for his armor, while our professional weaponsmith begins making his steel sword. After he was geared out, I put him in a pit lined with reciprocating copper spears with many, many goblins all of whom were still armed and armored. He slaughtered all of them without a scratch.

He came out a legendary swordsman and armor user and I had this thought (I'm a big Warhammer 40k fan):

"They shall be my finest warriors, these men dwarves who give of themselves to me. Like clay I shall mould them and in the furnace of war forge them. They shall be of iron will and steel sinew. In great armour I shall clad them and with the mightiest weapons they will be armed. They will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight them. They shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe can best them in battle. They are my bulwark against the Terror. They are the Defenders of Humanity Dwarf-anity. They are my Space Marines Dwarves and they shall know no fear."
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Little random things that pop in your head while playing
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 04:33:23 pm »

I read the word play as pray, and I immediately wondered why my dwarves are so apparently uncaring about their gods. I mean, crafters make images of them, but by and large they don't do anything. No worship, no praying, no temples, nothing; no wonder so many terrible things happen, it's the wrath of the gods!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Zan Oltaridor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 04:35:46 pm »

I think Dwaf Fortress is one of the best story-teller-games, along with Crusader Kings 2 or Mount and Blade. I mean every dwarf tells a story and you create a whole new story when you create a fort. This is why i love the game. Yes, yes all these crazy things happen but sometimes i caught myself smiling when i see all these little icons running around in this huge Fortress. This is why i play it, i imagine them running around, talking, hauling, patrolling and drinking beer with friends. Maybe im just crazy...but hell everyone in this forum is! But im proud of it, i mean in some way im just one of these pixels in my fort running around in the Bay12 Fort...totally crazy like everyone, but happy.
This thread is why I love dwarf fortress. We start at engravings of wagons and end up using necromancy to raise them from the dead, and were-wagons.
I jumped off a ramp in a cave and exploded.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:59:59 pm »

I think Dwaf Fortress is one of the best story-teller-games, along with Crusader Kings 2 or Mount and Blade. I mean every dwarf tells a story and you create a whole new story when you create a fort. This is why i love the game. Yes, yes all these crazy things happen but sometimes i caught myself smiling when i see all these little icons running around in this huge Fortress. This is why i play it, i imagine them running around, talking, hauling, patrolling and drinking beer with friends. Maybe im just crazy...but hell everyone in this forum is! But im proud of it, i mean in some way im just one of these pixels in my fort running around in the Bay12 Fort...totally crazy like everyone, but happy.

I do this.

I had a cat in my fort.  He never adopted anyone, even though I have a couple of Dwarves who love cats.  I had this little scenario in my head about how he was just Kun--Cat--the Official Cat of of Crystalgear.  I just imagined people giving him a pat as they pass by and him 'helping' with tthe chores, as cats are wont to do.  He was with my fort since embark, and a year ago game time, he died of old age at 12 :(

On a more amusing note, one of my dwarfettes, married, two kids, got a mood.  the kids went into the workshop with her and I imagined Dad looking nervous and saying "Not now, laddies.  Yer mum is busy..."
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 10:44:11 pm »

I see the little dwarves walking over the smoothed and engraved stone floor I ordered them to carve, and Immediately start checking to make sure they all have shoes, Dwarven foot injuries are no joke (all those little ridges, it can't be fun to walk on)

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 11:01:40 pm »

I sometimes wonder if dorfs get as annoyed at microcline and ugly color patterns as I do, especially the more aesthetically inclined ones.

And with my current fort, many of my dorfs have been engraving and making statues to this god Goral Limonhonies, a god dedicated to food and feasting who is often depicted laughing. I've been wondering if that is why they are so happy so often given the constant violence, they love of food and have positive attitudes.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 08:55:19 pm »

Wait. Annoyed by microcline? Microcline is awesome! It's like, almost adamantine, except the only common trait is color! Therefore, they are basically the same thing.
Anyways, this was weird because I was looking at the Warhammer 40k Wikipedia page, and then I thought, "I think I'll check what's happening on the DF forums", and the first topic I opened was this one.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 10:05:20 am »

Wait. Annoyed by microcline? Microcline is awesome! It's like, almost adamantine, except the only common trait is color! Therefore, they are basically the same thing.
Anyways, this was weird because I was looking at the Warhammer 40k Wikipedia page, and then I thought, "I think I'll check what's happening on the DF forums", and the first topic I opened was this one.

The color in game annoys some people, but in real life, microcline is quite pretty IMO.  It reminds me of amazonite, which I love.  The obsidian tileset does a nice job of softening the color.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 10:18:57 am »

The color in game annoys some people, but in real life, microcline is quite pretty IMO.  It reminds me of amazonite, which I love.  The obsidian tileset does a nice job of softening the color.

What color code does it have for microcline in the raws? I changed cassiterite to teal for the same reason, copper and tin being the same color GAH!
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 04:52:44 pm »

What color code does it have for microcline in the raws? I changed cassiterite to teal for the same reason, copper and tin being the same color GAH!

I'm not too well-versed in that, but I'm guessing cyan.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 06:16:31 pm »

My guess is RGB:00FFFF, which is full intensity cyan.

Real microcline ranges from a bluish light grey to a lovely 50% intensity stratified cyan all the way to an almost amazonite-like green.

I would suspect that in natural formations, the less colorful blue-grey variety is the most abundant, and envision hallways hewn from solid microcline to be predominantly that color, with intermittent veins of brilliant colored blues and greens rippling along the walls and floors.

illuminated by torchlight, however, the rock would be pretty unimpressive. The blues and smoky colororations found in the stone are at least partially the result of rayleigh scattering, and the firelight won't have the same spectra to be scattered. (And thus, will look "flat" under torchlight.)

A more impressive mineral type for that lighting would be black marble, with red aggate inclusive strata. (And I mean RED aggate. Not the reddish brown)

Cinnabar would probably be nice to look at too, but is too toxic for my likeing. Gassing out deadly mercury fumes in an enclosed space is not worth it. I like my brain and liver too much.