Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to build Magma channel?  (Read 1158 times)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to build Magma channel?
« on: December 02, 2013, 07:49:42 pm »

How do you breach the side of a volcano to let the lava in without letting in all of the fire men/ fire imps/ magma men? I currently have the following setup.

WWWW
║ +  . ║
║ +  . ║
║ +  . ║
║ +  . ║
z=0

WWWW
║ ║ + ║
║ ║ + ║
║ ║ + ║
║ ║ + ║
z=-1

In this diagram, the + signs represent floor tiles, the vertical = signs represent walls, the periods are empty space and the Ws are warm stone. This channel continues on longer than this, but this is enough to get the idea. The two diagrams fit on top of each other. How do I breach the warm stone tile that will allow magma to enter the channel without letting the nearby fire man in? Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 07:52:07 pm by someone12345 »
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to build Magma channel?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 08:04:20 pm »

Dig the entire channel setup without the magma first, then build your magma forges/etc.  in such a way that they seal off all but one of the holes you left, then breach the volcano, then seal the last hole.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:09:51 pm »

I already did all of that. All I need to do is to breach the volcano itself.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 09:26:39 pm »

You can do it several ways, some of which even leave your dwarf alive 100% of the time! See here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Magma

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 09:40:51 pm »

Down on the level you want the magma to flow into channel down in the tile directly in front of the warm stone, this should leave a ramp on the level below (note this is the floor in front of the warm stone, dont mine the warm stone yet!).   Build a bridge over the spot you channeled out of magma safe materials.  you could make this a raising bridge so you can block off the magma flow and prevent any critters from sneaking in through later as well, just make sure you use magma safe mechanisms as well.  Somewhere that wont be exposed to magma dig a shaft/tunnel so you can access the tile below the bridge that has the ramp.

Before this next step ensure your dwarves have no access to the level that is about to have magma in it as your about to flood it.  On the Z lvl with the bridge order the warm stone next to the bridge to be mined.  If there is no direct access to that tile your miner will go down to the ramp and mine diagonally upward to reach it but the bridge will prevent the resulting magma flow from reaching him.  I recommend you build a wall to block access to that ramp afterwards especially if you built a raising bridge in such a way that the access shaft will flood when the bridge raises.

This trick will generally work for breaching any fluid resivior without risking your miner as long as the sides are relatively even between Z levels.   If you didnt under stand this try folowing ghost's link I think threes an explanation with pictures there

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 03:24:45 am »

If you think the bridges are exploity (as I do), there are two pretty good options: (1) give urist mcmigrant a pick and a nice slab, or (2) bring the magma from above, either by pump (which has the benefit of closing off the channel as well and giving you an on/off switch) or by channeling from the level above the caldera.

(if you're afraid of building destroyers demolisihing the pump and entering thoughh your magma channel, and you're really dorfy, you could build it such that your pump is the only thing supporting a piece of natural rock above your channel, so if it is destroyed the channel is automatically filled in...)

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 07:32:11 am »

(if you're afraid of building destroyers demolisihing the pump and entering thoughh your magma channel, and you're really dorfy, you could build it such that your pump is the only thing supporting a piece of natural rock above your channel, so if it is destroyed the channel is automatically filled in...)
Can pumps even suport walls?  I didnt think they could.  Might just be better off seting up a magma safe support in the channle(pre flood) riged to drop something.  Even then you'd need to find a way to get the object unsuported other than by the support without giveing the criter a path up and out of the channle elsewhere as orthogonal flooring will support the wall.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 07:28:08 pm »

I looked on the wiki and decided to carve fortifications to let the lava in, then close a floodgate to stop nasty things from coming in. It worked, but the useless peasant sent to carve it open melted, as he did not run until I ordered him into a squad and gave a move order.  Also, all posts after GhostDwemer's were posted after I did this.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 02:52:58 am »

Can pumps even suport walls?  I didnt think they could.  Might just be better off seting up a magma safe support in the channle(pre flood) riged to drop something.  Even then you'd need to find a way to get the object unsuported other than by the support without giveing the criter a path up and out of the channle elsewhere as orthogonal flooring will support the wall.

Hmm, good question. Pumps can support other pumps, so I figured it should be possible, but maybe I should try stuff before posting it to the boards...

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 05:33:17 pm »

the trick there would be to have the wall on top not attached to anything at the sides so it will fall when pump destroyed.

My question is: can a building destroyer destroy a pump from the z level below?  Isn't that where any 'magma creatures' are going to be?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 07:41:04 pm »

Yup. Critters can come from below to destroy your pump. That's why many people use a floor grate over the input tile of the pump. Then the creatures can't path to the pump so they can't destroy it.