Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Concerning Elf Traders...  (Read 1261 times)

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Concerning Elf Traders...
« on: November 20, 2013, 06:49:23 pm »

Okay, I know, just kill the bastards.  That said:

Playing a succession fort (IronFist, if yer curious), and I just got to trading with the elves.  They gave me the classic 'now a rude bauble' speech - except that I have absolutely nothing wooden in the depot, never mind marked for trade.  Even the Depot is made of clay, not wood.

Is there anything else that can cause this message, or is this bugged, or....?

Cheers.

p.s.: It may be relevant that the Depot was not yet built when the traders arrived.  Upon building it, they pathed just fine to it; I don't see how it could cause this issue, but that's the only unusual thing about this trading experience.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Concerning Elf Traders...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 07:22:26 pm »

wooden decorations, some glass things may be the problem too. Check the wiki for a complete list.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 07:33:08 pm »

A-ha, of course!  Must've been something that menaced with spikes of wood - the previous overseer deconstructed the old depot (yep, that old exploit) - probably something from there that I didn't bother to check out thoroughly before bringing it to trade.

Thanks, Garath - you've set my mind at ease on this one.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 08:31:41 pm »

Just kill the bastards
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:45:15 pm »

Just kill the bastards

Already done.  Deny my trade, will ya, you pointy-eared bastiges?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 05:27:55 am »

just seize what you want. That way at least you don't end up with all their wooden crap
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 10:05:45 pm »

Sometimes I seize the stuff I want, lock the front doors, force the elves to path through the arena, and lock them in.
Then I magmafy all the crap I don't want afterwards.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 12:53:37 pm »

Ug.  I really wish the elves wouldn't just up and leave every time a speck of sawdust gets into the trash. I'd gladly tolerate a shift from "balanced trade" to "You need to offer us 10x as much stuff as you're getting back"; after all, I use them as garbage haulers.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 03:59:11 pm »

It seems as if I'm the only one who actually trades with the elves.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 04:15:55 pm »

I guard the entrance for the elves as much as I do for any of the other traders. If I accidentally offend them, I sieze whatever I was planning on buying. One thing I keep meaning to do is trade with them normally, and then sieze some berries or something that'll get processed pretty quickly. That way, they leave as soon as trading is done and then I can reduce the security. The trade-then-sieze method would work on humans too, but I don't think there's any way of getting the dwarven caravan to leave early.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 07:15:15 pm »

It seems as if I'm the only one who actually trades with the elves.

Not so.  I started this thread because I trade with the elves.  They tend to be the best source of raw lumber, and the only source of Sun Berries.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 05:40:59 am »

I trade with them too, usually for wood or caged animals, and they're nice enough to accept some garbage in return as long as it doesn't have wood mixed in it somewhere. Well, I've got more than enough garbage.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 03:19:29 pm »

Elves can easily bring you giant tigers and giant badgers and stuff.  Extremely valuable creatures.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 03:26:43 pm »

I had a fireball spitting hill titan torch everything above ground and the elves took up the slack on wood for a while.  I wonder if the elfen trade issue was designed to emulate dwarfen/elfen enmity in other mythos
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

DocHarley

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 03:51:00 pm »

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a dislike for the unwashed hippies elves.