Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Obsidian  (Read 682 times)

dleave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Obsidian
« on: December 03, 2013, 06:25:42 pm »

So I discovered some obsidian and was looking at the wiki information and it seems like obsidian is kind of a big deal, since there was a section on obsidian farming, but I'm unclear as to why.  Is it just because it is "high value?" And if so, what does this mean exactly? More happiness generated from furniture built out of it, and higher sales value on goods? I imagine it's still a lower value than stuff made out of metal, correct?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 06:33:31 pm »

Obsidian is a unique material for a number of reasons.
1: It is truly infinite.  Between the magma sea and a river or cavern lake, you have an infinite supply of obsidian.
2: It's higher value than normal stone.  Simply using it in place of regular shist is better.
3: It's a 'natural' tile that can be painted anywhere on the map with some engineering.  Using pumps and channeling, you can create obsidian anywhere, allowing for walls and floors that can be smoothed and carved, even over existing floors, allowing you to re-carve floors for potentially higher value.
4: Its generation can encase items for hilarious results.

Perhaps the end result is that using obsidian as a building material is 'more dwarven' due to the engineering involved.  Moreso if it's made from 'cast obsidian'.

dleave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 06:39:09 pm »

Thank you very much.  I was having a hard time finding the stuff I wanted to know with the forum search, but have since thought to google it and have found all the things I was looking for.  Much appreciated.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 06:55:15 pm »

In 40d you could make quite excellent short swords out of it, which used the stonecrafting skill. As good as steel, if I remember correctly. We all know how easy it is to end up with legendary stonecrafters.

Swords made of obsidian are rather poor these days, due to its material values in the raws not resembling glass. Hopefully this will be fixed (without needing modding) in the future.