Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs with a color preference  (Read 408 times)

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
Dwarfs with a color preference
« on: November 28, 2013, 02:47:50 pm »

Is there any way to take advantage of this? If my dwarfs like the color red does that mean they will enjoy ruby encrusted kaolinite furniture? (more than the average dwarf anyway).

Do colors currently interact at all?

I've been looking into my dwarfs preferences a lot recently. I was disappointed when my level 20 engraver only seems to make engravings of pigs (which he likes) every 100-300 engravings. I was expecting pig engravings everywhere!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs with a color preference
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 03:11:47 pm »

pigs are rather simple, they tend to be lower quality engravings, so highly skilled engravers won't make too many of them
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 09:32:13 pm »

Kaolinite doesn't have a colour specified and rubies are scarlet. I don't think that the colour names in colors.txt count, only the ones in descriptor_color_standard.txt.

Rubicelles, pinfire opals, and any gem whose name starts with 'red' are red. Redroot dye is brown as a powder, but dyes red. Goblin-caps have red wood. There may be others lurking in the raws.

I suspect that a colour preference has the same effect on item quality as a material preference or an object preference, but there are so many colours that I've never tried to pin down a task for a colour-liking dwarf. I guess you could make your dwarf a carpenter and see if their goblin-cap items are any better than those they don't have a colour or material preference for.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 01:00:01 am »

There are more color preferences than actual available shades in DF I think.