Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So will entities leaving the map in fort mode still cease to exist in DF2014?  (Read 1262 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That history generation will continue during gameplay is a tremendous step forward for DF, but from what I recall, there's been no mention of whether a major limitation present in previous versions of fort mode; that any entity leaving a map in fort mode has historically been  deleted from the world.

Now, while I suspect this limitation has been fixed in the new version, I don't recall any statement from Toady on the topic.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

there's been no mention of whether a major limitation present in previous versions of fort mode; that any entity leaving a map in fort mode has historically been  deleted from the world.
That was never actually a thing - what was a thing, however, was position-holders being fired once they left your fortress, and Toady personally confirmed that one to be fixed in the 05/24/2014 devlog entry:

The highlight of the last few bug-fixer sessions was definitely yesterday, when the king of my dwarves appointed a visiting merchant's yak as the general of the army while I was trading. I was working at the time on liaison issues -- the long-standing bug that fired the liaison when they left the map is handled, so you should get the same one every time now if something tragic doesn't happen to them, and I reconfirmed that if something bad does happen, you do get a new one. I guess I just need to make sure the new liaison doesn't end up being a work animal sometimes, which appears to be considered an option.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I kinda wish he left the work animal appointment in as a possibility if the person making appointments is somewhat lacking in the sanity department; see Caligula.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can confirm from personal experience that the fortress liaison is still alive after leaving the map because I had the liaison return on the next migrant wave to join my population in one of my fortresses (0.34.11).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"