Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: why not use cages istead of pen/pasture?  (Read 619 times)

HellTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
why not use cages istead of pen/pasture?
« on: November 25, 2013, 11:33:08 am »

Hello,

could i simply keep all my animals in cages so they wont get killed at siege?
i wonder which penalty (if any) you have if you just keep them caged.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: why not use cages istead of pen/pasture?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 11:40:20 am »

Grazing animals starve to death in cages, non-grazers can be kept in cages just fine though.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

HellTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 12:14:29 pm »

ah yes. there where somthing.
so which animal is the most worth to cage? in matters of afterward use, like: milk, wool, eggs, horns, maybe it should even give honey!
hm looks like only cat dog and pig, and some Goose :|
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:19:26 pm by HellTiger »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 12:24:10 pm »

Usually caging should only be used to help deal with overpopulation since caged animals wont breed and can't be sheared or milked. It can be useful to haul animals in for safekeeping or to set up dog bombs.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 12:28:16 pm »

Usually caging should only be used to help deal with overpopulation since caged animals wont breed and can't be sheared or milked. It can be useful to haul animals in for safekeeping or to set up dog bombs.

Sure about this? I think I have some mole dogs that have breed in cages.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 12:46:34 pm »

animals can give birth in cages, but can't conceive. Pretty much all animals that can be milked or sheared are also grazers. You should try walling in and roofing over an outside area, or make an underground area with cavern moss.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 01:32:10 pm »

animals can give birth in cages, but can't conceive. Pretty much all animals that can be milked or sheared are also grazers. You should try walling in and roofing over an outside area, or make an underground area with cavern moss.

This is why I like to use pigs.  Decent meat, decent bone resources, leather, can be milked (and the milk made into cheese), and they don't need a pasture at all.  Can be stored on one tile, caged later to curb piglets if necessary.

Actually now that I think about it, dogs might be even better as a food resource because you can also train dogs for war or hunting.  But I don't want to eat my dogs.  :(
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

HellTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 02:49:30 pm »

i think dog milk is awful.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 01:15:00 am »

how about dog cheese?
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 06:13:44 am »

I use my grazers as a distraction. I put them outside the walls or whatnot, and goblin ambushes reveal themselves and chase animals around while I assemble a poorly armored and likely soon to be tantruming militia.

The downside is all the animal hauling to be done by the survivors. It's quite a few jobs if you have a large amount of animals and with a low population cap it's especially frustrating.

On the fort I have now, I just got sick of it and caged all my grazers and let them starve to death because it was less disruptive than my 35 adult dwarves having to re-pasture my huge grazer herds every time something forced them out of pasture. I have invaders off for now, I'll probably move some grazers out to defensive pastures once I turn invaders back on after my dwarves make enough new dwarves for the Queen to arrive.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 06:19:52 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 07:00:07 am »

I use flying critters for that. Tey tend to give the goblins a much longer chase as long as they don't get shot, and are less likely to be shot in the first place, can be pastured on a tiny spot, unlike grazers who need more space, and they're easier to replace since most birds hatch 5 or more together while grazers only pop out one or two at a time.

HellTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 04:41:54 pm »

oke some watch goose then!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 04:52:31 pm »

one problem with them though. They're so attractive to goblins that sometimes they get chased all over the map and the goblins never get close to your defences. I usually make an above ground enclosure just to give the flying distraction a place to hide and the goblins time to refocus