Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hospital Specific Stockpiles  (Read 469 times)

sneakypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hospital Specific Stockpiles
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:31:40 am »

Am i right in thinking that to make stockpiles for crutches etc you just set to accept from link only, turning it on and off when making the necessary goods, bins crutches etc. ?

Same for soap?

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Re: Hospital Specific Stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 11:39:09 am »

For hospitals, it's enough to set the zone (using <"i"> - <h>ospital), and have at least one container (coffer, chest, or bag) in the zone.  Your dwarfs will automatically fill said container with thread, crutches, splints, cloth, and soap.  You can adjust how much of each is used by <'i'> <H>ospital information (that's a capital, or <shift+> <h>).

If you have any adamantine thread, it's a good idea to forbid it beforehand, until your dwarfs have filled the containers with normal thread.  You can safely reclaim it after your hospital is stocked.

Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 12:26:09 pm »

Containers in a hospital zone will store all of the relevant supplies, but there is an ancient bug where they will get overstocked by massive margins.  Especially with thread and cloth.  There are a few work arounds and I believe a binary patch or DFHack fix for at least some of it, but I've never tried them.

So, I've tried the stockpile method myself in my current fort and it's a pretty big headache.  I just have 1 tile stockpiles with a single bin set to take from the main stockpiles (i.e. my main cloth stockpile).  It works, but my setup at least causes massive amounts of cancellation spam due to bin problems.  I haven't found a great solution to it yet.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 04:51:07 pm »

Yes, there's a bug in stocking hospitals. What happens is when the hospital is low on stock, EVERY dwarf that has hauling enabled gets tasked to haul stuff to the hospital. So you get a flood of bearded short people grabbing thread, cloth, etc and carrying it to the hospital. You can look at the wiki for different work arounds, but frankly, the easiest one is.

1. Let the swarm of dwarves converge upon the hospital and overstock it.
2. Designate a garbage zone near the hospital.
3. Examine each container with 't' and 'd'ump the excess supplies. (1 cloth = 10,000 cloth units for hospital inventory, 1 thread = 15,000 thread units for sutures, 1 bar of soap = 150 washings. don't really care about plaster since the hospital is the only place to use it and an overstock of plaster is a 'who cares?' situation.) I'll generally dump all excess except for a single extra cloth, thread, and soap. That way a fair amount of those supplies can be used before the hospital once again detects an 'under stocked' situation.
4. After the dwarves have converged upon the hospital and dumped all the flagged excess supplies, recover them from the garbage zone.

sneakypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 12:17:31 pm »

Oh wow i didnt realise it automatically did that, that's pretty helpful for DF standards!

Thanks for the help guys.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 12:19:03 pm »

Yes, there's a bug in stocking hospitals. What happens is when the hospital is low on stock, EVERY dwarf that has hauling enabled gets tasked to haul stuff to the hospital. So you get a flood of bearded short people grabbing thread, cloth, etc and carrying it to the hospital. You can look at the wiki for different work arounds, but frankly, the easiest one is.

1. Let the swarm of dwarves converge upon the hospital and overstock it.
2. Designate a garbage zone near the hospital.
3. Examine each container with 't' and 'd'ump the excess supplies. (1 cloth = 10,000 cloth units for hospital inventory, 1 thread = 15,000 thread units for sutures, 1 bar of soap = 150 washings. don't really care about plaster since the hospital is the only place to use it and an overstock of plaster is a 'who cares?' situation.) I'll generally dump all excess except for a single extra cloth, thread, and soap. That way a fair amount of those supplies can be used before the hospital once again detects an 'under stocked' situation.
4. After the dwarves have converged upon the hospital and dumped all the flagged excess supplies, recover them from the garbage zone.

Turning down the requested amount of materials helps stop them from infinitely ramming cloth into hospital bins.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 12:33:20 pm »

All I do for my hospitals is set it to stock nothing, and then set an attached closet space as a series of stockpiles that store relevant materials.  They'll still use non-hospital goods, and have no trouble stepping to the nearest stockpile to grab a bar of soap.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 08:53:15 am »

dfhack has a fix for the overstocking bug, just uncomment the
Code: [Select]
binpatch apply hospital-overstocking

line in your dfhack.init file. I've not had any problems with hospital stocking since.