Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the nature and origins of the animal men  (Read 679 times)

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On the nature and origins of the animal men
« on: December 09, 2013, 12:08:07 am »

What exactly are they? Is a cave fish man a human with the head and features of a cave fish? A cave fish that happens to be humanoid? Is it magical or mundane? We know that they form tribes (schools?). Are they intelligent? Can they be civilized? Exactly what is their relation to the rest of the world?

Where do they come from? I know Threetoe's stories mention that at least the surface dwelling animal men were created by their local forest spirit as guardians. I think I remember Toady saying something about the subterranean ones being more hostile due to the underworld being closer to the HFS. But where do they originally come from? Are antmen naturally evolved ants, or are they just superants mutated by the latent corruption down there?

And, kind of off topic, but that does make me wonder how the deep dwarves can remain unchanged down there...

doomyoshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the nature and origins of the animal men
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 04:56:24 pm »

"A humanoid creature with the head of a blind cave fish. They live in colonies in watery regions far underground."
They actually are quite beautiful, according to the dwarves who like them.

They can be friendly or hostile, so this indicates that civilization is possible. Intelligence is doubtable, you can steal their stuff without retribution if they are friendly. they aren't butcherable, but I attribute this to squeamish dwarves, rather than true sentience. (they have the tags to learn and speak but don't show any real signs of intelligence). 

Due to [natural], it would seem they are mundane. However, they don't need to drink, which implies they are magical.

doesn't answer all the questions, but its a start

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:10:15 pm by doomyoshi »

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 12:02:27 am »

The tag that allows creatures to learn implies sentience, I recall.

doomyoshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 12:24:59 am »

The tag that allows creatures to learn implies sentience, I recall.

it is implied, but sentient creatures have complex feelings and emotions, not just "i am friendly so you can have all my hides and meat without any retribution".

Balistic604

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 03:41:24 am »

I think that's more of a gameplay issue rather than an indicator of a lack of sentience.
Dwarf Fortress: The only place you'll find complaints about NOT dying.