Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Mod for adventure mode?  (Read 2945 times)

tykavanaugh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best Mod for adventure mode?
« on: December 10, 2013, 11:21:25 pm »

I so far haven't found any that provide a new experience while playing adventure mode. While the modern mod with weapons was interesting, the combat is so lethal that everyone dies the first time I run into an ambush. Any suggestions?

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Mod for adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 11:38:52 pm »

You tried masterwork?
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 01:24:02 am »

MW is more directed towards Fortress Mode than it is towards Adventure Mode. But it is much more varied than vanilla. In fact, it's probably be hard to not find something in that mod that interests you.

I tend to play vanilla, with only a few tweaks. I drop the lethality of bows, crossbows, and whips, and I standardize most materials so it is just plain leather instead of (animal) leather. I also add a few adventurer reactions that allow me to make crafts and decorate items. But I don't think these are quite what you want.

Have you tried DFHack's adv-fort plug-in? It allows you to mine, cut trees, and work in workshops like in Fortress Mode.

The only thing I can recommend is to try out some other mods until you find one that's interesting enough to play with. There are a few total-overhaul mods floating around that you could try.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:28:45 am by BlackFlyme »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 03:12:35 am »

Try Genesis. :) Deon pays great attention to adv mode, while I mod for fort mode. I did do some changed on MDF to help adv mode, but not too much. Its probably a bit random at times.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 03:22:58 am »

Yeah, Masterwork or Genesis mods are likely the best.
I should probably look into DF again.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 03:25:10 am »

I would actively avoid Masterwork for Adventure mode. It is completely neglected. I find it nearly unplayable because some fort mode features do little to improve fort mode (added attacks to weapons?) while they go a very long way to ruin adventure mode (oh, so whirling with outstretcged[sic] arms is always best, why use anything else? Oh, look, I died because warlocks can kill you instantly.)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 03:27:12 am »

I would actively avoid Masterwork for Adventure mode. It is completely neglected. I find it nearly unplayable because some fort mode features do little to improve fort mode (added attacks to weapons?) while they go a very long way to ruin adventure mode (oh, so whirling with outstretcged[sic] arms is always best, why use anything else? Oh, look, I died because warlocks can kill you instantly.)
But couldn't you become an indestructible bat man in Masterwork?
Sig! Onol

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 03:29:44 am »

Indestructibility is lame.

Trust me, I just did a roleplay as Pelinal in Nchardahrk. I killed 135 dark elves then quit and wrote about the Ruling King Ashkhan who CHIMmed him back to where he belonged because I got bored of that invincibility and wanted to get to the point of "Anu's dream is Tamriel, Padomay's is Dwarf Fortress".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 03:31:13 am »

It gets more fun when you get all your limbs sliced off and go around pushing people to death and it working.
Sig! Onol

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 03:34:38 am »

It gets more fun when you get all your limbs sliced off and go around pushing people to death and it working.

Or roleplaying a God with DFHack.

But that's not really within a "modding" realm, is it? I guess I could have fun with that if I ever wanted to implement that kind of thing into a mod... make an "unperson" script that kills someone, scrubs their corpse, destroys their historical figure, replaces any civ positions they have, all of which you can do by name? See, now that's fun, if it doesn't crash. Then give someone the ability to use that in certain circumstances, ooh...

tykavanaugh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 03:34:09 pm »

Try Genesis. :) Deon pays great attention to adv mode, while I mod for fort mode. I did do some changed on MDF to help adv mode, but not too much. Its probably a bit random at times.
I actually have played yours in the past, and it was pretty good in adventure mode, I liked having a lot of very different races to choose from. I'll try Genesis out.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 06:41:23 am »

Yep, and be sure to leave a feedback! I've neglected updates lately because people don't say what they want, they just download and play :D. If you find something missing or unfitting, just ask in the mod thread and I will look into it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

tykavanaugh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 11:36:55 pm »

Yep, and be sure to leave a feedback! I've neglected updates lately because people don't say what they want, they just download and play :D. If you find something missing or unfitting, just ask in the mod thread and I will look into it.
Ah, I remember why I stopped after trying it out again. It's really unstable on the mac, just crashes about 10 or so minutes in seemingly irregardless of what's happening. No idea why. The balance and design of the mod seems excellent though. OSX 10.8.5.

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 02:42:36 am »

Give AdvFort a try. It has its kinks, and nothing you do is permanent outside of Lair sites, but it's still fun building things.
Plus, it gives you a better idea of what your poor bearded minions go through in their daily lives in Fortress Mode.

Also, if you add in a few leatherworking and bonecarving reactions, you can effectively go feral and shun [intentional] civilised contact altogether. The appeal wears out, but it's interesting for a while.

Also, play a flying adventurer, it completely changes your perspective on your surroundings. The overworld never looked so inviting, and ruins never seemed so foreboding.
Vanilla animal people are easy to set up for this, but they're also hobbit-sized.