Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Uses for ghosts?  (Read 931 times)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Uses for ghosts?
« on: November 20, 2013, 11:21:22 pm »

Are ghosts useful for something?
There must be a way to weaponize them.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
Re: Uses for ghosts?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 11:24:04 pm »

Didn't you just make a topic like this?
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 11:28:40 pm »

This topic is kinda different, although it could have been included with the other one.

I suppose that one could use ghosts to train ferocious sea animals, using the ghostly animal trainer bug, but that's all I can think of.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 11:30:35 pm »

If they died in a good mood, they'll just murder anything hostile they come across.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 11:42:45 pm »

Ghosts are useful for causing tantrum spirals, which is kind of like weaponizing them, but is ultimately a bad idea.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 11:54:08 pm »

Ghosts are useful for causing tantrum spirals, which is kind of like weaponizing them, but is ultimately a bad idea.

Unless you want to kill all the cheesemakers.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 01:06:30 am »

Unless you want to kill all the cheesemakers.

But, blessed are the cheesemakers, for they shall inherit your fort!

Ghosts can throw parties, according to early research.  So I guess a cheerful ghost could help keep your workforce entertained (and keep them from actually doing any work).  That's kinda useful, in a not-useful sort of way.
Sanity is for the weak.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 03:02:53 am »

Proper "using" of ghosts would require a certain degree of control over their behavior and spawning, all the tools we really have available is vague knowledge about their habits. I guess you could try to weaponize them by killing dwarves near the main entrance until you get a violent, stationary ghost (Assuming violent ghosts can be stationary.) to murder everyone that gets too close. But I'm not sure if violent ghosts are aggressive to invaders or just the fortress inhabitants, another issue would be effectively sealing off the "defender" from the rest of the fort when they can pass through walls.

Aside from weaponizing, all I can think of is the previously mentioned glitch where a dwarf that has a labor active at the moment of death continues to perform the labor on repeat until you exorcise them. I imagine they can only repeat labors that don't require any equipment to perform, so mining and crafting are probably out of the question. Maybe endless clay-gathering and fishing are possible? Then there's the possibilities of poltergeist workers, since I'm pretty sure poltergeists can grab items and possibly negate the issue with ghostly miners. In any case, the !!science!! required for this kind of thing would bury most forts in tantrum-spirals before much could be accomplished.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 09:12:03 am »

Maybe you could mod in a material that ghosts can't path through and use that to confine ghosts to your entrance. Whereupon they meet sieges. And proceed to slaughter them.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 12:57:13 pm »

Ghosts can pass through walls, but I've never seen a flying ghost. Maybe hollow walls (and floor 2 z levels above a pit) would be enuff to stop him?
Then just pit everyone in here, including caravans and cheesemakers, and hope they will multiply.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 07:54:19 pm »

Once I had a murderous dwarf ghost that liked attacking and killing people in one hit. Shortly after his creation I got visited by a huge goblin army led by a general, something I couldn't face so I raised my bridge. This wasn't good, being short on supplies and waiting for the next caravan.

A short while later, the ghost flew out of my fort, up to the General, and knocked his head off. The siege left soon after.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.