Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is that an aquifier...?  (Read 967 times)

Sarvaartha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is that an aquifier...?
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:06:14 pm »

So, I've managed to hit my first embark spot that contains lignite. Finally able to start making some of that iron stuff people keep talking about!

The way that I typically choose to embark is find a wall, tunnel into it, and dig down after my suitable setup is designated. Well, this time it's pretty much all black sand. Ok, I can deal with that. I'll have to come back and construct some real floors over it, but it's manageable for now. Third z-level down, they hit wet stone, though there was no water above and below. Foolish me, I ignore it and keep tunneling. That's when the water starts rushing in. Quick, cancel the mining job! Save yourselves! They're able to get out in time, but the entire tunnel is flooding as they are running out in 4/7 waist-deep water :'( Why I am asking the question is because the embark screen did not list "Aquifier" as being present. I did, however, kinda' straddle two biomes when embarking. Does it not take that into consideration when displaying the properties of the embark site? I did a dfhack "reveal" and don't see water anywhere, so I guess my fort is... well, sunk?

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is that an aquifier...?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:12:57 pm »

Yep. You can have an aquifer in one biome and not the other.

Sarvaartha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:22:59 pm »

Yep. You can have an aquifer in one biome and not the other.

Blast it all. Ok. Thanks for your response!

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 08:39:11 pm »

Fyi, lignite isn't an ore of iron. Apologies if you realize this already; the post seemed to imply it.

Sarvaartha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 08:49:37 pm »

Fyi, lignite isn't an ore of iron. Apologies if you realize this already; the post seemed to imply it.

I meant to say limonite. Oops.

Oh, and new newb tip I got out of this: when picking an embark site, flip back and forth between both biomes using the F1 and F2 keys; the F1 biome doesn't always have an aquifier, but the F2 one might!!

Sarvaartha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 09:40:41 pm »

While we're on the topic of water, though, let's say I have a small area of 7/7 water, like maybe a 10-tile pond. If I dig out everything directly underneath it, will the entire thing eventually bottom out?

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:56:38 pm »

You mean collapse?
Not if you dig underneath it. If you channel it, maybe. But you have to get the water out first.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Cave-in
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Murky_pool

They can be useful as an irrigation source for farming if you have no soil, a fish source sometimes. I usually ignore them unless I want that particular piece of ground for aboveground plots and it fits. Then I'll drain the water, build floors over the top, remove the ramps and plant.

Having an aquifer in one biome and not another is actually a pretty good thing imo. You have a never ending source of fresh clean water, you can make it flow for power, and you don't really lose too much of the map. Aquifers aren't infinite z-levels.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:02:14 pm by xcorps »

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 10:06:20 pm »

Oh, and new newb tip I got out of this: when picking an embark site, flip back and forth between both biomes using the F1 and F2 keys; the F1 biome doesn't always have an aquifier, but the F2 one might!!

Just FYI: there can be more then 2 biomes. You shall see a line like "F1F2F3F4F5: View biome".

While we're on the topic of water, though, let's say I have a small area of 7/7 water, like maybe a 10-tile pond. If I dig out everything directly underneath it, will the entire thing eventually bottom out?

Yes, if you dig through the floor of the pond. If you keep the floor intact, nothing will hapen.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 02:34:40 pm »

Once you are aware: it is simple matter to just dig past it in the non-aquifier biome.  Meanwhile use the properties of the aquifier to your advantage
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 05:03:17 pm »

Only on reclaiming a fort that's been abandoned for a few years. So you know, if you plan on doing that and coming back to the fort when it eventually dies, put a door in there or something
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle