snip
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 08:24:17 pm by Caroline »

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
Re: Hermit Game
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 04:19:09 pm »

If you embark RIGHT on the edge of an ocean (or any other embark with hardly any map edge) you can quickly build bridges and seal off the map edge, thus having NO immigrants.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 04:21:45 pm »

Generate looooong worlds with lots of things to kill dwarves.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 05:12:56 pm »

Try genning a world with dwarves set it Max Age: 1, then change it to normal after world generation
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 08:20:30 pm »

If you're willing to accept the first two migration waves, you can simply lower the population cap in /init/d_init.txt to something less than the expected population. I think you can set the limit down to four (notionally the minimum required for repopulation), but a limit of ten works, too - you're guaranteed to have more than ten dwarfs when both migration waves survive.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 08:27:56 pm »

Set popcap under 10, get two first waves, then kill off the following migrants until migrants cease to come.

Squad + dwarven atom smasher works wonders.

Although I must warn you, playing with 15-25 dwarves quickly becomes tedious because you just don't have any for all the jobs even a small fort needs, and large projects become looong.

I prefer 50 dwarves, it's just enough for me without being at 90-100 and thinking "by Armok why do half of these dwarves only have useless farming jobs and do nothing all day"

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 03:16:38 pm »

The population cap doesn't have any effect if there's only a few dwarves in a fortress. One option is to use dfhack and run a script at the start of each season to prevent the migration event.

stopmigrants.lua:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you copy that code into a text file and save it as stopmigrants.lua in your \hack\scripts\ subdirectory, then you can type stopmigrants into dfhack and it will run. That puts off the horde of immigrants for a little while.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 04:02:20 pm »

The population cap doesn't have any effect if there's only a few dwarves in a fortress.

I'd like to mention that this "few" probably means "really, really few" - two or three or so. If you have eleven dwarfs and a population cap of ten, it will normally be respected. There may be exceptions when the dwarven caravan and/or outpost liaison come to harm, but a ten-dwarf cap has worked flawlessly for me on a dozen or more embarks, without any raws editing or DFHacking.

If you don't care for dwarven trade, you can also remove the active season from the dwarven civ's entry in entity_default.txt, which removes dwarven caravans and all migration past the first year.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 04:05:01 pm »

If you want to have no contact with the mountainhomes period you can remove the [] from [ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN] in the dwarven entry in entity.txt file.  This should prevent caravans and the liaison from coming which also handily prevents future migrations.  This can be done to an existing world and can easily be undone if needed.

Darned ninjas
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".