Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GURPS campaign?  (Read 2211 times)

zombie killer

• Bay Watcher
  • mwuahahahahhaha
    • View Profile
GURPS campaign?
« on: November 17, 2013, 05:54:21 pm »

i am starting a campaign in GURPS, and i am looking for suggestions. i am running 4th edition gurps. for those of you unfamiliar, gurps can run very much in the way of genres. please let me know of any of your ideas. thank you and have a nice day.

I'd settle for capitalization. although all lower case seems to be zk's thing.
thank you and have a nice day!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: GURPS campaign?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 06:09:44 pm »

You'll probably want to move this over to Other Games, or Forum Games and Roleplaying. GD's not really the place for it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

zombie killer

• Bay Watcher
  • mwuahahahahhaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 06:19:23 pm »

You'll probably want to move this over to Other Games, or Forum Games and Roleplaying. GD's not really the place for it.

do i just re-post it there to move it?

I'd settle for capitalization. although all lower case seems to be zk's thing.
thank you and have a nice day!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 08:08:22 pm »

There was a bit in Slaughterhouse 5 about a money tree... A German rapper expanded the concept: A mythical golden tree with ruby flowers out in a wasteland which is rather deadly to traverse. But the tree is evil: It inspires hatred, envy, greed, etc in those who survive the journey, making them go insane and kill each other to claim the treasure only for themselves. And with each drop of blood, another flower grows...

Link; if anyone wants, I can translate the lyrics.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 08:34:03 pm »

Anytime I come across GURPS, I am always reminded of this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:39:36 pm by Itnetlolor »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 05:31:28 am »

That would be a pretty expensive character.  I don't think most would have the points for it.  It's one of the quirks for the system that I don't like, and it's a good idea to let the players know about stuff like that in advance, especially if they are prone to making unorthodox characters.  Stuff like not having eat or breath is apparently more valuable than having a mind, or thumbs.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 06:48:29 am »

Not having a mind or thumbs gives you points IIRC.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 06:50:30 am »

But not as many as, say, the lack of breathing would cost, is what I understood.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 11:49:07 am »

I always wanted to do Gurps WW2 tank crew campaign myself. (Though I'd need to actually get somewhat of a grasp on the rules to even play a gurps campaign)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 01:49:21 pm »

But not as many as, say, the lack of breathing would cost, is what I understood.

Not being conscious / sentient at all is IQ 0, which is -200 points assuming a human standard.  That is quite a lot more points refunded than any advantage in the basic books costs.  Doesn't Breathe is something like 15 points, but I'd have to check my book to be sure.

GURPS absolutely has quirks with the costs of traits, but it's not that broken.  :)

Playing as a muffin would likely make your character cost a massive number of negative points, unless it had psionics or magic or other paranormal abilities.  I guess if you're playing as a muffin, that would almost be mandatory.

The thing about it, is while GURPS does support doing that if you really want to for some reason, in my experience it's pretty rare.  Most games are about humans who might have magic or the odd cinematic ability, but playing as sapient food is mostly relegated to joke characters.  Of course, there's always that one guy who goes out of his way to stretch the lmits of what the GM says is permissible...

To address the OP, I really don't have any suggestions.  GURPS doesn't narrow down the possibilities of what kind of game you could play much at all.  The players on SJ Games' forums have done a lot of conversion work for a variety of settings, so even Star Wars, Star Trek, Fallout and more aren't that hard to get into if you go looking.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:27:41 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 02:02:17 pm »

As far as advice goes, when it comes to GURPS, the less hard-assed you can be about the rules the better in my experience. Sure, the rules go out their way to cover everything they can, but that doesn't mean you ought to as well. Treat it as a toolbox set of rules, and only use as many as you can get away with. If people are getting frustrated that the highest their effective skill level could be after moving and attacking is 9, feel free to change that for example. Really, the rules are overkill unless everyone at the table is thoroughly familiar with them, and happy to play them by the book.