Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpiles to Workshops orders  (Read 398 times)

Rigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stockpiles to Workshops orders
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:09:27 am »

Hey, I was wondering why my Quern kept cancelling the 'Mill plants' order by stating 'Needs empty bag' even though I had piles of them all around the fortress. After quite some time I remembered that I had set a small stockpile (that only had certain plants) the order of giving only to that Quern. Once I removed the order, voilą, milling takes place again. So obviously not being familiar with stockpile orders I had thought that the order in question would only mean that the stockpile in question doesn't allow its content to be taken anywhere else than its ordered destination. But apparently the order goes beyond that and restricts the destination to the stockpile aswell, is this correct?

...playing standard v.0.34.11

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpiles to Workshops orders
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 11:49:05 am »

Hey, I was wondering why my Quern kept cancelling the 'Mill plants' order by stating 'Needs empty bag' even though I had piles of them all around the fortress. After quite some time I remembered that I had set a small stockpile (that only had certain plants) the order of giving only to that Quern. Once I removed the order, voilą, milling takes place again. So obviously not being familiar with stockpile orders I had thought that the order in question would only mean that the stockpile in question doesn't allow its content to be taken anywhere else than its ordered destination. But apparently the order goes beyond that and restricts the destination to the stockpile aswell, is this correct?

...playing standard v.0.34.11

Making a stockpile give order to a specific workshop forbids that workshop from using any materials that don't come from said stockpile. So if the stockpile set to 'give' to the Quern doesn't have any bags available, the Quern can't pull them from anywhere else.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Rigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 12:40:59 pm »

Ok, so it is a two-directional agreement! It's quite weird, though, since there's also the option to 'Take from a pile/workshop' in addition to 'Give' - does this also bind the source to only give to the receiving Stockpile? And moreover, is there any way to assign only one way give/take restictions?

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 05:45:54 pm »

It behaves slightly differently when workshops (and other buildings, like querns) are involved, you get more flexibility with stockpile to stockpile links.  So how to setup a "take from a stockpile, but also from other places" link has two very different answers:

1. (stockpile to stockpile)  No problem!  Tell the "receiving" stockpile to take from the "giving" stockpile, but also set the "receiving" stockpile to be allowed to take from anywhere.

2. (stockpile to building)  Not directly, but you can setup an extra "giving" stockpile connected to the building as a work-around.  So, in your example, you'd have an extra stockpile with just empty bags in it.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.