Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Steel helm vs naked goblin punch  (Read 1785 times)

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steel helm vs naked goblin punch
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 01:44:19 pm »

There's an incredibly complex tabletop RPG out there called Rolemaster.  It's pretty much the DF of tabletop games.   It has all sorts of charts for combat, and according to the charts, with a VERY lucky shot, someone could indeed punch someone through their helmet and kill them.  sucks, though, but yes, it's perfectly fair.  Think of it as like one of those freak occurrences in real life that should in no way ever happen, but do.

Never thought of Rolemaster as being incredibly complex, but I guess when you compare it to what other systems offered at the time one might feel that way.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

CreamyDoughnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 02:06:57 pm »

If that goblin was name you should check out the legends screen and see if he was the green-skin version of Captain America- a super-goblin trained to defeat the dwarven warmachine.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 03:45:04 pm »

Or how breaking a pinky finger is often painful enough to make a dwarf pass out, as if he broke a femur.
There's an idea for a mod. Have two types of bone, each with different pain values, and put them in different parts of the body. Maybe allow only one of them to function as bone, with the material being used for the finger bones and other small bones being a waste product like cartilage or nervous tissue.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 03:58:34 pm »

It should be noted that skulls have an insanely small default size (20 compared to the brains 200), which is the cause of all those  "jamming the skull through the brain" deaths. I bumped my skull size to 220, which basically eliminates lethal punches, but still allows a copper war hammer to bust a skull. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 08:44:40 pm by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 05:04:45 pm »

I've bumped up the skull size too. Punches to the head are still moderately lethal if the upper spine's tissue is unprotected enough to be torn by a blow.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 06:21:52 pm »

I've noticed that dwarves with "Very flimsy" in their sheet can pretty much get their head caved in by anything more than a gentle breeze.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 06:54:37 pm »

Hmm.... Are punches blunt attacks? If they are, the helmet wouldn't protect against them very much... in fact, if there's not a decent protective value, you may have been better off sending your dwarf in naked, at least they'd have a decent dodge chance...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 06:59:28 pm »

Or how breaking a pinky finger is often painful enough to make a dwarf pass out, as if he broke a femur.
There's an idea for a mod. Have two types of bone, each with different pain values, and put them in different parts of the body. Maybe allow only one of them to function as bone, with the material being used for the finger bones and other small bones being a waste product like cartilage or nervous tissue.

I know someone did a combat rebalance mod that did something to help with bone breaks, but I can't remember quite how it was accomplished.  It also did a lot of other things if I recall, like adjusting bleeding levels of various body parts.

I never tried it, but now I'm inclined to go looking for it again.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 [2]