Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven happiness  (Read 581 times)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Dwarven happiness
« on: November 23, 2013, 10:10:04 pm »

I recently noticed that dwarves get a -10 happiness penalty for being confined, but a +1000 happiness bonus for being freed.

I also noticed that this works any time a dwarf gets into a cage.

so here's my proposal: use the GCS silk farm design, but place cage traps on every tile that can be covered by webs. dwarves will be trapped by the webs. then free them from their cages, giving them a huge happiness boost.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven happiness
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 08:42:20 am »

It is a pretty crazy boost, yes. It's probably best for individual cases though, as there's a time limit on how long the dwarf can stay safely in the cage.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:46:06 am »

Interesting!

cave-in dust can also cause dwarfs to be knocked into cages, right? I would build a room lined with cage traps, get the miserable dwarf in the room, lock the door, and cause a cave-in. If succesful, the dwarf is locked up, and you can release him for the +1000 boost, and you no longer have a miserable dwarf. If the cave-in accidentally hits the dwarf, you also no longer have a miserable dwarf. If the cave-in misses the dwarf and there is not enough dust to knock him into a cage, repeat until either the first or the second occurs.

We can call this room "room 101": it does horrible things to your citizens but ensures that they end up being well-behaved citizens who love the state (or they die in the process).

Do make sure that room 101 has solid walls underneath, or you get more Fun than you applied for :-)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 11:11:39 am »

I've just thought of / remembered another thing. I once built a weapon trap at the entrance of the hospital for admiration purposes, but due to a lack of beds one dwarf was dropped off at the border of the hospital zone, where the trap tile was. He did not survive.

So, you could maybe suit up a dwarf with a helm, breastplate, and greaves, and drop stuff on them until they break something non-essential. Then trap them once they reach the hospital with no beds.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.