Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why so damn many possesed moods?  (Read 2627 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why so damn many possesed moods?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 08:25:37 am »

Well, I play almost exclusively in Temperate woodlands on embarks with both volcanos, rivers, and not in terrifying areas.

In years playing, I've never seen a Fell mood in a fort I started.  Literally never.  Hundreds of games, thousands of moods.

And it's not just the happiness of my dwarves - I've had some pretty unhappy forts.  Even a few tantrum spiral forts that I managed to pull back from the brink.

I would say that, if anything, the general mood of your embarkment would impact the types of moods your dwarves get.

Anyone got evidence to back that up?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 04:29:40 pm »

My understanding is that the game randomly selects a dwarf for a mood then, with modifiers based on that dwarfs current mood (thoughts) randomly selects a mood type.  If your dwarf hates life because of a bunch of bad things happening to him, he will be more likely to fall into a macabre or fell mood, but if he's relatively happy the chances of getting one of those two are pretty small (possibly zero, but I don't have any direct evidence of that).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 12:15:10 pm »

Even a miserable dwarf can have a normal fey mood. Might be rare, but I just had this happen recently during a tantrum spiral. Got the message that a dwarf got a mood, checked him and it was a miserable dwarf who had just thrown a tantrum, went and made a pretty statue and became ecstatic.

That statue helped save the other 4 dwarves who survived the spiral that claimed 98% of my population.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 12:54:36 pm »

Dwarves who are at Fine or above will never go into fell or macabre moods.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 12:59:21 pm »

Even a miserable dwarf can have a normal fey mood. Might be rare, but I just had this happen recently during a tantrum spiral. Got the message that a dwarf got a mood, checked him and it was a miserable dwarf who had just thrown a tantrum, went and made a pretty statue and became ecstatic.

That statue helped save the other 4 dwarves who survived the spiral that claimed 98% of my population.

Hrm.  This begs the question - what was the statue?  What was it that saved your fort?  If it was a god or historical figure, tell us about that god too.

Sometimes the statues or engravings dwarves make when under stress are absurdly funny, and sometimes it's pretty sobering.  But it's usually pretty boring  :)
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 03:02:42 pm »

Looking at the fort, the statue that helped was a bituminous coal statue of a chicken, with an image of the king taking the throne. I think the actual artifact created during the spiral was either a chest, a dacite figurine named The Drenched Tenacity or a ring named The Decay of Squashing.

No notable images, just the fort being founded, or a previous artifact.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 04:04:23 am »

Looking at the fort, the statue that helped was a bituminous coal statue of a chicken, with an image of the king taking the throne. I think the actual artifact created during the spiral was either a chest, a dacite figurine named The Drenched Tenacity or a ring named The Decay of Squashing.

No notable images, just the fort being founded, or a previous artifact.

Your fort was saved by a giant coal chicken.  Perhaps it was related to this one.

http://www.subservientchicken.com/pre_bk_skinned.swf

I still remember when this came out, BK managed one of the best viral marketing attempts I've ever seen.
Pages: 1 [2]