Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin demon general???  (Read 1090 times)

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin demon general???
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:08:53 am »

So in the siege goblin demon-general shows up.
In my first 1-squad siege.
What?
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin demon general???
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:16:26 am »

Theres nothing that says that the leader/general can't show up in the first siege, though they don't typically show up in the first siege.

What abilities does the demon have and how well equipped is your military? and how are your entrance defenses?

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 11:02:20 am »

My military was awfull (I've just turned on Sieges after having 2 Novice Axedorfs & 3 talented marksdorfs) [Okay I see the point here why he shows up..]

I managed to kill that guy with my whole fort as military, but noone survived to tell anyone about that. He was shooting fireballs reeely fast.

Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 11:11:46 am »

Can fireballs actually be blocked?
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 11:16:07 am »

Ouch, should have had a bigger military really, a long trap hall could also have saved you through attrition on the goblin side.

Can fireballs actually be blocked?

Not sure. Don't think so.....

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:20:04 am »

Yep, long trap-hall made me some caged prisoners and much more bodyparts, but the demon fired up everyone and everyone died. :)

I just didn't think that if I will turn on invaders in the middle of my fort, the full force will come.
It's mildly depressing.

Urist McEngraver

• Bay Watcher
  • I like german.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 01:07:46 pm »

Dragonfire can be blocked with a shield, so I don't see why a wooden shield won't block fireballs.
Also, if you've got wooden furniture in the dining hall, you have some big issues anyways.
This is Dwarf Fortress, not the Fluffy Wambler Express.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 01:17:18 pm »

Yep, long trap-hall made me some caged prisoners and much more bodyparts, but the demon fired up everyone and everyone died. :)

I just didn't think that if I will turn on invaders in the middle of my fort, the full force will come.

I think you just got unlucky and was caught not being fully prepared.

Dragonfire can be blocked with a shield, so I don't see why a wooden shield won't block fireballs.

When I throw fireballs as the armok modded thing, the fireballs don't seem to be blocked.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 02:38:08 pm »

not being fully prepared.
I imagine this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p73PZIDQuA
It's mildly depressing.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 12:39:55 pm »

Dragonfire/firebreath has a specific blocking notification, but I think fireballs always set the target on fire if they hit. They also seem to only hit some body parts, instead of just the whole body
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 06:39:59 pm »

Dragonfire/firebreath has a specific blocking notification, but I think fireballs always set the target on fire if they hit. They also seem to only hit some body parts, instead of just the whole body
I've played with this when I tried fire-proofing clothes. Fireballs seem to explode on contact, that can impact several areas of the body bet tend to hit only a few at a time, where dragonfire would hit everything exposed. If they hit, they will set any exposed body parts or flammable clothes on fire.

I didn't test blocking much, but I'm confident if a fireball is blocked its completely blocked much like dragon fire. Fireballs can also be dodged I think, technically dragonfire too under the right scenarios.