Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This will be !!FUN!!  (Read 771 times)

WarGrunte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
This will be !!FUN!!
« on: September 21, 2013, 10:09:04 am »

So, I decided to play the Legend of Forgotten Realms mod of dwarf fortress after hunting for something to spice up dwarf fortress mode game play. I downloaded the mod, found the manuals and lore files, proceeded to spend the next two hours reading up on all of the information. So, I make a map, find a good embark site and create a good caravan before going forth to strike the earth...and then...well, let me explain some things: I am not a complete newbie at dwarf fortress, but most of my fortresses never last long through a combination of over extending resources, random animal men wandering into my new fortress and braining most of my dwarfs, (and the most deadly one to my forts) immigrants waves in the high teens/low twenties. But a few of my fortresses survived for a while, a few years at least, so I know about the ambushes and other attacks that can wipe out a fortress. Thanks to my lurking on the forums, I know about the randomly named but quite awesome forts like Boatmurdered or Battlefailed.

So, to my utmost surprise and horror, as I read through the usual "Strike the earth" speech from the embark screen, I came upon the randomly generated name of my fortress: "Peacefulhope". With a rising feeling of dread, I shall now go forth and attempt to colonize this site, though I am prepared to fight for every inch of ground that my dwarves take. For with a name like Peacefulhope, what can a dwarf really suspect will happen?

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This will be !!FUN!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 11:15:06 am »

Don't tempt fate my dear friend.

Or go ahead, its not like anything could get any worse for you. Having a name like "Peacefulhope" for your fortress and expecting everything to go smoothly is like running butt-naked across an expressway and not expecting to get run-over by a car.

That said, keep them posts coming!

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 12:29:02 pm »

The name generator predicts the future.  Unfortunatly it often does so in a sarcastic or ironic way sometimes telling you what wont happen instead of what will, other times makeing a funny crack at what will kill the fort.   Case in point I had a fortress named Pantcrabs and my dwarves were part of the group "The tender sacks"   The fortress died in a tantrum spiral after I ran out of pants for my dwarves(and I forgot to make more)  The RNG was obviously telling me my dwarves would get crabby over pants but I failed to listen and disasterstruck.  At least I hope that was what it was telling me and not implying how their sacks got tender.  Best not to think to deeply on that one.

postdusk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 04:30:51 pm »

just finished my fort
"butteredspoons" which ended in tantrum spiral from rotten-tallow-miasma after my dwarves were interrupted by an invasion while moving an underbarreled food stockpile.

paxy97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 06:17:19 pm »

Wrong thread LOL

Please delete, thank you
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:20:27 pm by paxy97 »
Don't Panic!