Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ignore enemies?  (Read 1062 times)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Ignore enemies?
« on: November 16, 2013, 03:11:31 am »

Tonight my fortress fell under siege, so i sent out my 10 dwarf militia (steel armor and silver war hammers) and seal up the fort. 6 soldiers died, but the other 4 became invincible heroes (or maybe they were already) kiling over 60 goblins and mounts. Now the thing is that the remaining goblins (around 20) are quite scattered now and it takes a lot of time to this dwarves to chase them, although they 1 hit kill them when they get em.
Since a lot of time has passed some of them are gettng hungry/thirsty/tired so i dug an alternative entrance for them to get back inside, my plan was to get the soldiers to stand next to it, pull the lever to open it, get them inside, close it and wait for goblins to get bored or the human caravan to kill them, but this dwarves are distracted by all the enemies running around, theyre everywhere. I tried station and burrows, but they keep running behind enemies. Is there a way to tell them to forget about them and just go where i point?
I want this dwarves alive theyre so badass, i saw one of them chasing a group of mounted goblich bowmen raining arrows upon him and he just dodged/blocked and kept chasing, scoring several kills.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ignore enemies?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 10:26:33 am »

There are probably better ideas than this, but you can drop them from their military unit and they will become civilians then and run from the gobos.  If you have a burrow and a civ alert tied to it they will run straight for the burrow.  Once they are inside you can conscript them again.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 02:13:36 pm »

Don't worry, if they are sleepy and there is an open path to a free bed they will ignore enemies. I discovered this in my zombie-Plagued fort;
The only way for my indestructible soldiers to stop killing ever-reaniming zombies is a bed.

If there is not an open path, they will sleep in the battlefield and die (Unless they have adamantine helmets, then they will wake up and continue killing.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 02:42:29 pm »

There are probably better ideas than this, but you can drop them from their military unit and they will become civilians then and run from the gobos.  If you have a burrow and a civ alert tied to it they will run straight for the burrow.  Once they are inside you can conscript them again.
Don't drop them from the unit or they will drop their armour and weapons.  Set their squad to Inactive instead, so they run back in with all their gear.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 11:35:15 pm »

Don't drop them from the unit or they will drop their armour and weapons.  Set their squad to Inactive instead, so they run back in with all their gear.

That worked, 3 of them came back, however one of them died of thirst. Now wait...