Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dogs topic  (Read 1299 times)

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dogs topic
« on: August 19, 2006, 04:07:00 pm »

Toady, can you please explain or at least give a couple of hints, just how normal everyday dogs are different from hunting and war dogs, and how those two are different from each other ?

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Dogs topic
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 04:33:00 pm »

I'm not Toady and my words should thus be taken with a pinch of salt, but:

* Dogs are just dogs.  They're good as pets.
* Hunting dogs are naturally stealthy, so they are good for helping hunters when they are assigned to them using the [v], [p]refs, work-[a]nimals function (I think that's the key, I could be wrong).
* War dogs are brutal but not as quick as hunting dogs.  They might be useful for hunting too, but I tend to keep my war dogs back home in order to protect my people from subterranean invaders and crazies.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 04:42:00 pm »

quote:
Dogs are just dogs. They're good as pets.

They are not just dogs. A single dog can kill a bunch of deers, foxes, raccoons, macaques...most of lower-leves stuff.

So what i want to know, just how exactly are trained dogs better ? 2 times better fighters ? 3 times ? More health ? There are dogs statistics in /raw/ files, but no hunting or war dog ones.

quote:
Hunting dogs are naturally stealthy  

Stealthy ? The game has stealth parameter ?!

Slime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 04:44:00 pm »

War dogs are really useful when you're starting out. No military dwarves? Bears wanna eat your little dwarf buddies? Raccoons stealing your food? No problem. Get some war dogs!

I found a dead bear. It's head was next to it's corpse. It seems my dogs ripped it apart as soon as it even got CLOSE. It was still fresh too, so I butchered it, used it's bones to decorate stuff and turned the skin into armour.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 08:11:00 pm »

Yeah, I think war dogs are more aggressive.  They can be assigned to soldiers to follow them around.  They have a stronger bite too.

edit:  Hunting dogs are better at sneaking, and can help hunters perhaps, though nothing can actually help hunters, and the h-dogs will probably just get wasted.

[ August 19, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 01:49:00 am »

I've actually found that hunting dogs work surprisingly well.  I have something like thirty or so by now, and with five or six following each hunter around it does make a difference...  I saw a pack of them bring down a Cougar, I think it was, entirely on their own.  I believe what happens is one gets a lucky hit, and then they just tear in and maim the enemy to the point where it can't fight back at all before it can get back up.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 02:42:00 am »

quote:
Yeah, I think war dogs are more aggressive. They have a stronger bite too.

Any numbers to know exactly how much stronger it is ?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 11:07:00 pm »

Looks like it doubles what you see in the txt.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 12:42:00 am »

how do you heal a wardog/hunting dog?

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 01:36:00 am »

if you watch your hunters, you will see them sneak up slowly on some animal and then pounce out and run after it.

same goes with the hunting dogs I guess.

I only got hunting dogs a bunch of versions ago and they all got killed pretty quickly but some sinister animals so I  am not so sure.

I tried to get a bunch of dog herds like I've seen posted in the forum, but they dont want to get it on! stupid dogs...

i just have a bunch of dwarves popping babies out

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 06:49:00 am »

I just don't seem to get many dogs.

I have about 30 cats though.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 12:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Looks like it doubles what you see in the txt.</STRONG>

I love that ! It is really funny to see that you always doubt of your own knowledge of you own game...  :eek:
Ok, I reckon, it is huge and it is probably not very easy to remember what has been implemented and not, such as every tiny figures set everywhere.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 02:36:00 pm »

Well I got a buttload of dogs, since I apparently started out with a male female pair there.  But very few cats, as I don't think I started getting kittens until the third or fourth migration brought some more.  Sadly, with so many dogs and running out of food I wound up butchering puppies to feed my dwarves.  (When they could stay away from hunting vermin long enough to do the butchering, had one dog get trained as a hunting dog after he got set for butchering so I wound up butchering a working dog.)  Dog packs have been pretty effective on keeping down the Alligator population, though they weren't so useful with the Giant Toads since they seem to popup and attack suddenly. (I've started assigning War Dogs to Miners and Fishers so they can have a little more protection around the cave river.)