Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weather glitch?  (Read 547 times)

Omnipresence

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Weather glitch?
« on: November 14, 2013, 05:11:19 pm »

Hello,

Just got back into Dwarf Fortress. I generate a world, find the PERFECT embark site for a noob like me, and strike the Earth. Unfortunately I soon realize that the default embark size was too small for my taste. After living with that for a while, I abandon and choose a similar site, but with 7x7 dimensions. Upon unpausing from the beginning screen, my FPS takes a run for the basement. I look around the map, and, of course, it is snowing. A couple of dwarf-months later, it finally starts looking like spring. Did you ever notice that rain kills FPS? Well, I surely hadn't noticed it in any forts up until that point. FPS loiters around 30 or 40. I'm sure the resident waterfall does not help either.

After that experience, I turned off weather. Somehow, it has still been raining for MONTHS. No change. I think turning off the weather in the middle of rain may have actually locked it on in the game permanently.

Last night, I took the time to overclock my astoundingly old Core 2 Quad 9300 from 2.5 to 3.0 GHz. Evidently, doing so does not help. My lag is approximately the same level as before the overclock. I've tried all of the "affinity" and "priority" stuff, still not that much better.

Is there anything I can do to try to turn off weather that stays on even if it is off in the raws?

TL;DR - OH MY GAWD PREMATURE FPS DEATH PLEASE HELP!!1122@

Thanks,

Omnipresence

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weather glitch?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 05:33:00 pm »

The 7x7 embark is going to be the single biggest cause of FPS issues. No matter what you do, it's going to be a slower-than average fortress.

If turning off weather locked the rain in, the obvious answer is to turn weather back on until the rain stops, then turn the weather off again. I have to imagine you've already thought of this, but I don't know a quicker solution.

I've never heard of rain being a big FPS drain, but temperature definitely is. Keep in mind that on a site that big, you've got three times the tiles which need temperature updates, compared to a 4x4 embark. Turn off temperature and your FPS could easily double.

Omnipresence

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 05:41:34 pm »

Now, I am going to turn the weather off then on later, but I DEFINITELY do not want to lose temperature. Without temperature, magma isn't nearly as !!FUN!!

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 06:03:29 pm »

True, but you can turn off temperature when you're not actually using the magma. That's what I do.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 11:32:20 pm »

Some biomes have a lot of rain. A lot of rain.
Weather does tend to create lag, due to the contaniments system[citation needed]
Overclocking your processor works only to a certain point; after reaching that point, everything else needs to catch up to the processor. DF tends to use RAM a lot, so if that isn't fast enough, you won't get further improvements on speed.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.