Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Issue with the creation of a wooden crossbow  (Read 1215 times)

Mrpoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Issue with the creation of a wooden crossbow
« on: November 12, 2013, 08:13:58 pm »

I was running low on food and would need to wait for a caravan and crops were only just planted, so I made a crossbow to hunt animals, I built the bowyer's workshop, and I got an Urist Mcwoodworker cancels make wooden crossbow: needs logs. I have logs and on top of that he just stands in the bowyer's workshop and is slowly starving himself. I checked the job menu and it says he has no job, I put some work orders in the carpenter's workshop, and it didn't change anything. Can someone explain this to me please?

P.S: I'm somewhat new at Dwarf Fortress, as I've been playing for a few months, and I checked the wiki for this, and turned up nothing.

Bad Dwarf, Bad Dwarf, Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when the carp come for you?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Issue with the creation of a wooden crossbow
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 08:43:18 pm »

Gotta check a few things.

1. Make sure he has a route to the logs.
2. Make sure he is in a burrow that contains the logs. (Unless you don't have any burrows.)
3. Make sure the logs aren't forbidden.
4. Make sure the workshop isn't set to "Accept from links only".
5. Make sure the stockpile isn't set to give to a different workshop.

And there may still be something else. Check those and then get back to us on this.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 08:54:20 pm »

Gotta check a few things.

1. Make sure he has a route to the logs.
2. Make sure he is in a burrow that contains the logs. (Unless you don't have any burrows.)
3. Make sure the logs aren't forbidden.
4. Make sure the workshop isn't set to "Accept from links only".
5. Make sure the stockpile isn't set to give to a different workshop.

And there may still be something else. Check those and then get back to us on this.

This is everything. Follow this (wo)man's commands and get back to us.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 09:01:28 pm »

Is the workshop in a small room?  Sounds to me like the part of the workshop that blocks movement may be blocking the only way out, so he's trapped in there.  I've made that mistake a few times.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 09:06:33 pm »

I was running low on food and would need to wait for a caravan and crops were only just planted, so I made a crossbow to hunt animals, I built the bowyer's workshop, and I got an Urist Mcwoodworker cancels make wooden crossbow: needs logs. I have logs and on top of that he just stands in the bowyer's workshop and is slowly starving himself.

You probably set up the workshop so its "impassable" squares block the only path to the rest of the fort. The bowyer blocked themselves in there the moment they finished building it. Dig out a few squares to open a passage again so the poor beard can get back out. For reference, the impassable squares of the bowyer's workshop are the three making up the westernmost column of the workshop.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:24:47 pm »

The above two comments sound most likely to be true. That would fall under #1. Ignore the rest of my post and make sure the guy can actually get to the logs.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Mrpoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 07:22:26 am »

Demonic Gophers and Larix were correct! The way I built it had the columns blocking the exit, Thank you all!
Bad Dwarf, Bad Dwarf, Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when the carp come for you?

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 05:53:36 pm »

Demonic Gophers and Larix were correct! The way I built it had the columns blocking the exit, Thank you all!
Did you see how to tell which tiles are impassible for future buildings? Most buildings have 1-3 tiles but some are more annoyingly positioned than others.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 06:54:53 pm »

don't forget to build a craftsdwarf workshop to build bolts, you'll need them if you want to hunt. Wood will suffice, but bone is better. Metal is only useful if you have enough to waste some on bolts breaking