Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Potential Bug?  (Read 608 times)

Simca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Potential Bug?
« on: November 12, 2013, 12:12:02 pm »

So, this could (probably) be a bug, but I don't want to post it to the bug report system without making sure it is a bug and not already known (because I'm a noob).

Two problems with this save: http://www.mediafire.com/download/mo1asrc7qyeeygu/region1.zip

1. There is an army of Goblin Axemen at the bottom center of the map (a siege), but they have only moved a few tiles and will not path into my fort. My dwarves are literally forty tiles away, barely out of their sight range, and can clearly enter/exit on their own. Why won't they attack?
2. My dwarves will not dump the items on the ground level (some wood, a couple bars, and a large gem).

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Bug?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 01:03:07 pm »

I don't think either are actual bugs.

If you reclaim a fortress, any opponents still there will be marked as friendly.  They will even help you defend.  That is, until members of their home civilization attack.  Then they immediately turn hostile.  I think you might be seeing the same thing with your goblins.

As far as the not-dumping goes: Go to (o)rders -> (r)efuse -> dwarves (i)gnore refuse above ground (at least I think that is the setting).
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Simca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 01:41:55 pm »

Dumped items are refuse?!

As for the goblins, this fortress has never been abandoned/reclaimed - this is the initial embark.

Edit: Thanks for the heads-up on the dumped items = refuse thing. That's weird and I would have never figured that out otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:50:46 pm by Simca »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 02:03:53 pm »

Are there a few chests and bags where the goblins are and are the goblins marked as friendly in the (u)nits menu? You may have managed to embark on a bandit camp.

However, they can and most likely will, turn on you the moment a siege shows up, or an ambush.

I suppose you can neutralize them by unforbidding their stuff and dumping it. It works with merchants too.

Edit: silly forum formatting.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 04:25:17 pm by smjjames »

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 02:23:21 pm »

Goblins don't always charge your fort even if the path is open. Since they tend to hang around a season when sieging, should all stay boring, they might wait until the very end of their siegetime until they charge. Or they might charge at random.

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 03:29:39 pm »

Dumped items are refuse?!

As for the goblins, this fortress has never been abandoned/reclaimed - this is the initial embark.

Edit: Thanks for the heads-up on the dumped items = refuse thing. That's weird and I would have never figured that out otherwise.

Items marked to be dumped are considered refuse since you're putting them in the dump.  If you unmarked them, they'd no longer be refuse and eventually get put in a stockpile if any are available.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 05:24:26 pm »

Create a squad made of a single expendable dwarf Cheesemaker and send it out to carry out an insane suicide attack investigation into why the goblins are being lazy dicks lying in wait.

They'll likely start their path after they absolutely murder him finish with diplomacy.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Simca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 05:32:08 pm »

Goblins don't always charge your fort even if the path is open. Since they tend to hang around a season when sieging, should all stay boring, they might wait until the very end of their siegetime until they charge. Or they might charge at random.
This seems like the only explanation, though it's still a pretty weird one.

I've been sieged twice before and the Goblins would attack my animals I had in the center of the map (above ground). In that save, my dwarves are all over the map above ground except in the area right near the Goblins and they haven't figured out to attack yet.

They aren't friendly, so it is some type of AI/pathing thing.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 06:21:00 pm »

Oh yeah, if they are attacking your animals, then they are definitely not friendly.  Are there cage traps near them?  If the leader of a squad of goblins gets captured, the others will usually mill about the cage.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 07:01:45 pm »

We usually use DFFD to upload saves, but i'll check out the save.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 07:12:58 pm »

AHA! I see what the problem is, there is a cave swallow mount among the invaders. You're just experiencing the buggy pathing that fliers have.

You'll have to grab some of the dwarves who already have some marksdwarf skill and put them into a squad and have them take out the cave swallow. Might want to have your melee dwarves get the axegobs that are there.

Alternatively, if you have DFhack, you can use slayrace on the giant cave swallow which will get them unstuck from the pathing problem.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:17:54 pm by smjjames »