Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rivercrossed: Just another DF pony fort.  (Read 1000 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
Rivercrossed: Just another DF pony fort.
« on: November 10, 2013, 08:34:23 pm »

This is my personal attempt at starting another pony, DF, RP fort. This fort has no connection with any of the old DF pone forts. I'm running a heavily modded version of pony mod (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80240.0). I tried to make it more true to the show's cannon, so currently there are no cave ponies or Diomedian Ponies ponies, diamond dogs aren't the equivalent of kobolds and actually are a threat.

Without further ado, here is the backstory for this fort.
The three tribes of ponies have finally unified for their mutual benefit, but it didn't come in time to save homeland. The pony's old home is slowly decaying and freezing into a nearly uninhabitable wasteland. The only option left for the ponies is colonization, and relocation. The leaders of each tribe tell stories of a land of promise and unfathomable resources nearly untouched by the the blight of the homeland. As promising as this new land is, the risks are obvious and everywhere. Monsters and great beasts still walk the land, and land is far from settled, yet this isn’t the only threat lurking in this new world.

Equestria has already been settled by other races, and the ponies only prove to disrupt the current balance of power. The gryphon’s have already started to raid settlements, and the diamond dogs are growing hostile as well. The buffalo are anxious of the settlement of ponies on their land. The only group the ponies have good relations with are the zebra, and even they are reluctant to assist the ponies. To make matters worse, there are those among the ranks of the ponies who would wish to revert to the old ways.

Many of the military elite and unicorn oligarchy want nothing more than to maintain the power they held when the tribes were separated, and the growing equality that was brought by the unification is only proving to force a wedge between those who wish to cling to power, and those whom want a world where all ponies are equal.

Regardless of these issues though, the colonization of equestria is continuing. The land is slowly being settled by more and more ponies. This where our story begins. Reports have came in about a canyon on the frontier carved out by a major river. The river is too deep to ford, and spans for miles on end. A colony is to be founded along it, with the hopes of eventually erecting a bridge, allowing the crossing of wagons over the river, and thus facilitating further colonization.   A group of seven were sent out to lay the groundwork for this colony. They were given enough rations to last about a year, and the required goods to etch out a settlement along the frontier. Their deep in diamond dog and gryphon territory, and if something were to go bad, it would take months before help reached the place.

In the words of great armok: “You have arrived. After a journey from the homeland into the forbidding wilderness beyond, your harsh trek finally ended. Your party of seven is to make an outpost for the glory of all of equestria. There are almost no supplies left, but with stout labor comes sustenance. Whether by bolt, plow or hook, provide for your ponies. You are expecting a caravan just before winter, but spring is now. Enough time to delve secure lodgings, ere the giant dingoes get hungry. A new chapter of equine history begins here at this place “rivercrossed”. Strike the earth!”

World map:

Local map:

the pic of the river was taken later on.

List of ponies, as well as their status (claimed/unclaimed)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RP rules and things to keep in mind

1:Claim a pony before posting in character as said pony.
2: You can stick to just posting diaries, but doing scenes would be appreciated.
3: Respect other people and dont do stuff with their pony without asking.
4: you can have the pony's name changed to fit the player's needs.
5: try to avoid contradicting the show's cannon .
6: if you or your character becomes disruptive I'll try to talk it out in PMs. If you don't comply, well... somepony had to test the drop-a-tron.
7: if your having problems with another player, please PM me, and I'll try to settle things.
8: use something like brackets if your talking out of character. example: ((like... yeah... who thought twi being an alicorn was a good idea?))
9: avatars for your ponies are allowed, but I ain't supplying them.
10: Your character doesn't have to have the same appearance as in the one in game.
11: Characters that aren't ponies (Aka, diamond dogs, gryphons.) are allowed, just talk to me first. Same goes for alicorns.
12: you can have more than 1 pony, just dont take like 14+ ponies.
13: if your pony dies, talk to me, and well try to sort things out.

For any questions, shoot me a PM and i'll try to answer as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 07:11:44 pm by jaxler »
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
Re: Rivercrossed: Just another DF pony fort.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:24:48 pm »

1st of granite. 94
We've finally reached our destination, a canyon carved out by a river. The damned thing runs for miles. I decided the best place to set up camp was a bluff overlooking the gorge. Mainly because we ran into a small tributary river that’s blocking further exploration. We planned on just moving along this gorge until we found a good spot to settle, but sense that river is in the way and I've heard enough stories about fording the river to know what is and isn't a good idea,  I'll tell the ponies to set up camp here and save us the trouble. I mean this is about as good a spot as any.
(Sums up about everything he heard about fording the river.)

12th of granite.
Today I had Rusty Pick and Red Agate strike the earth, and begin working on digging out a tunnel underground. As much as I despise the idea of becoming subterranean troglodytes,
moving our operation underground seems to be the best option. I've heard a few other settlers have tried this, and as far as I'm concerned, if it worked for them, it'll work for us.

2nd of felsite.
Today Oak Barrel and Red Agate finally finished digging out the place that we're going to use for farming. Hopefully we'll have some food grown before we run out of supplies... Now I
can have them working on carving out living space and a meeting hall.

16th of felsite.
The miners gave some great news today. They hit iron ore! We'll actually be able to make our own metal now.

17th of felsite.
Scourge is being a problem. I need ponies to start hauling food underground to where are farms are being set up, and he justs sits at the wagon doing nothing, and claiming to be "on guard
duty". I bet he thinks just because he has a weapon he can ignore me. I just won't have plinter make a bed for him, and see if that sets him straight.

25th of felsite.
The poor jackass just found out about him not getting a bed, he seemed pissed, but after making a little scene the guy calmed down and actually started working. I told Splinter to start
to add making another bed to his work list.

15th of hematite.
The rooms and living space are finished, as well as the meeting hall. We should have everything furnished in few days. It took us a while, but it's starting to look like we'll have
actually made a decent settlement.

[I wouldn’t call it decent, but meh, it’s a start]

1st of hematite.
Oh gods... why is it so damn hot outside? I can't believe it got so dry so fast. Why didn't anyone tell me the dry season would be this hot. At least it's cooler inside, I honestly feel bad for Mahogany, poor pony has to spend all day cutting down trees. Thank gods I get to spend all day out there, I probably wouldn't last an hour, let alone an entire work day.

5th of hematite
The miners haven't had much work to do after finishing the living quarters, so today I gave them the job of making some storage space as well. It's about time they got off their bumps and went back to doing some good old manual labor.

22th of hematite.
Great, more mouths to feed. Today we got a group of migrants. They're pretty much lacking in any important skills, and still plan on taking up food and living space. I can't really throw them out, so I guess i'll repurpose the useless guys. I guess have them start working on setting up metal production... gods knows how badly that could go. They were accompanied by a spear pony, which I guess is an upside sense protection is always helpful.

26th Malachite.
I just made some really good tables. Like, on a scale from 1-10 they got like an 11. I really didn't think I could to it, but damn, they are pretty much better than anything else I've ever carved from a rock.

31st of malachite.
We finally pieced apart the old wagon for wood. I can't believe how long we've been out here with no major accidents. Still though, watching the old thing go down really made me think.
We don't really have a way out of this hole in the ground if things go south. I've started production of traps, hopefully if anything tries to come here, we can protect ourselves. There are things out there that want everything in this fort dead, the diamond dogs are growing more hostile. The gryphons too... we need to be able to protect ourselves.

2nd of galena
We're starting trap production, and hopefully we'll be able to defend ourselves soon. We can really only make wood trap parts, but it's better than nothing.

13th of Limestone
More migrants. We don't any rooms for them, and of them lack any real skills, so I sent them to work on farming. Hopefully we'll get some actually helpful laborers next time.

19th of limestone.
The miners are going to work on extra rooms. Hopefully we'll be able to get all the new ponies some space of their own, having them fall asleep in the dining room is getting a bit obnoxious.

11th of sandstone.
Finally got some housing for everypony, It took long enough... But at least now I won't have somepony complaining to me about the lack of beds every time I leave my office.

25th of sandstone.
I made the miners begin digging  down in order to help us understand what resources we've gotten buried away underground. To my surprise one of them told me they ran into a cave underground. I'm really not sure what to make of this, monsters could live down there, but we could always use the plants and wood. Aside from that, there is also some galena, thought I doubt’s it’s going to be all to helpful.

1st of timber.
It still hasn't rained one bit in months yet the rivers haven't dried up. It's really a godsend, because if it did we'd pretty much be dead out here. We ran out of barrel's drinks today.
I honestly am starting to worry. We aren't producing enough food either...

22th of timber.
We're starting to actually finish the work on some basic defenses, but regardless we need to get our food production up to stable levels. Defenses are worthless if you're already starving to death.

1st of moonstone.
Well, winter's finally hit and it's still hot as hell down here. At least we've began working on a well. We've needing a well for a while, but I never really got to it with all of the other issues.

16th of moonstone.
Well, turns out I needed to make some poor pony be the stand in architect. If we want the well done, as well as other projects we're gonna need somepony who actually knows how to build things that don’t fall over in two seconds. Turns out I was the only pony here who had any idea how to do so, so now I'm the colony's leader, mason, and architect. Ugh...

21st of moonstone.
I built a smelter today and it actually didn't blow up in Coke's face when he tried to use it. I'm fairly impressed with myself. The thing looks like something a two year old would make, but it's actually working-ish.

1st of opal.
We're actually making coke and iron bars now. I didn't expect for the furnaces to work, but it's going fairly well. Maybe we'll have some armor for Yari. Scourge is still being difficult, and I'd love to have somepony with a weapon that'll actually listen to orders. The bastard still spends most of his time being a problem and disobeying most the jobs he's given. I don't care if he's trained to kill stuff. When there is nothing around that needs to be pounded into mush, he can at least move around rocks.

16th of opal.
A caravan arrived finally. Hopefully we can get some much needed supplies. Food and armor are going make a huge difference. If we're barely keeping stable with our food production, and some
goods from the caravan would be very appreciated. I also made in an order for some dogs and cats. Cat's should help ensure we don't get rat's the size of my head running around, and dogs should at least keep out any unwanted creatures sneaking around.

25th of opal.
The liaison wasn't happy with the way things were going. He made clear that our defenses and production was laughable. He doesn't expect this place to be on the map next year, but at least he wasn't heartless. He cut us a deal, we can have anything we'd like from the caravan, but we'll have to pay it back in double when they show up again. Apparently he didn't want to see us all
die horribly, but I'm not sure if that's the whole story behind his motivation. I'm not an idiot though, I'll take a bailout if means we don't starve.

(this is pretty much me trying to justify the ye olde “deconstruct the depot trick”.)
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rivercrossed: Just another DF pony fort.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:52:54 pm »

[Good to hear we've not had any massive disasters, other than the depot falling apart while the caravan was inside yet :)]
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.