Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrant Waves/Caravans  (Read 467 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrant Waves/Caravans
« on: November 11, 2013, 07:46:35 am »

OK... this may be a n00b question, but pre-pologies if it is.

I have a slowly maturing fortress, bout 102 dwarves down from a max pop in the 150s.  The goblin sieges always end up in the trap bucket, but they always seem to manage to kill a few dwarves each trip.

In the past few years (since I became a barony, actually) the non-Elven caravans have stopped, and the goblins show up with the elves and wipe them out before attacking me.  So no caravans.

Migrants waves have also stopped.  Haven't seen a single Urist poking his fuzzy head over the horizon, despite a good fort with lots of iron, zinc, and gems.  What gives?

Is this normal?  Does changing to a noble in charge change the way caravans arrive?  Or migrant waves?  This is my first fort to make it this far *grin*... any advice is helpful.  Thanks in advance.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant Waves/Caravans
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:05:39 am »

No, it should not be that way. If you didn't hit population cap and there were not too much deaths in your fortress, migrants should came. Try waiting couple more seasons.

Caravans also should keep coming. If elves or humans are too pissed off, they should  besiege you. But I don't think there are reasons for them to comletely ignore you.

So, check if everything is ok and wait. (consider improving your defences, goblins are weak enemies and you are about to meet badass ones)
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 09:13:52 am »

OK... so "improve defenses" how?  Is there a way to protect caravans that doesn't involve running out to get slaughtered?

I have figured out one of the problems, which is a slow bleed of deaths in the caverns.  Mobs keep randomly spawning and attacking my woodcutters/miners/gatherers/Urist Mc-Who-Knows-What-You're-Pathing-To-Down-Here.  I am building walls and airlocks a little at a time, sealing off "safe" sections of caves.  Three-four waves of goblins/rutherers/trolls are showing up at a time to get caged.  What else is going to come?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 01:12:02 pm »

you may want to check on the civilizations (c) to make sure they haven't been wiped out, if the humans have stopped coming altogether it may be for that reason, or perhaps a new landmark appeared that blocked their path to your fortress. You could protect the caravans by placing war animals around to hold off the invaders until your military dwarves (or the caravan guards, but elves are sissies who don't even bring warriors) deal with it. Oh and if you neglected your military because your traps were doing well, you are going to be in trouble when titans, forgotten beasts, etc. appear which are trapavoid, so at least consider setting up a danger room and live training arena.