Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unstoppable scrolling bug/weirdness  (Read 941 times)

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unstoppable scrolling bug/weirdness
« on: August 19, 2006, 03:38:00 pm »

At one point while playing, I held 7 to move the cursor north-west - and the cursor started moving there on its own. I couldn't stop it. This was fortress more, and I could stop time, but it was strange and I didn't know what to do. Then I noticed NumLock was off. I put NumLock on, and pressed 7 again. That stopped it.

To reproduce it: Hold a movement button down. Put NumLock off. Release the movement button.
To stop the effect: Put NumLock on. Press the movement button that's on.

This is probably just a weird coincidence and not a but, but I thought to report it so that any others would not have to suffer from the confusion.

Janne )`*

DarkAnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unstoppable scrolling bug/weirdness
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 03:40:00 pm »

I too have experienced this bug.
Why do my dwarves hate me?

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 07:20:00 pm »

That makes perfect sense, really: you're holding down the 7 key, then you turn off numlock and now you're releasing the home key.  Scrolling repeats from when you press a key down until you release it, and since you never release the 7 key, you'll never stop scrolling until you release it (which will require pressing it again, of course).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 08:24:00 pm »

DF would most likely think of it that way in any case.  In general, when you have a stuck key, pressing the same key (with the keyboard in the same state of caps/num/etc) should clear it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!