Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First time embarking in range of a tower, any tips?  (Read 2289 times)

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First time embarking in range of a tower, any tips?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 05:11:55 am »

The Skybridge sounds great.

I have also embarked between two towers and got sieges with about 180 undead and 5 Necromancers.

My Melee Dwarves suck. Not because the can't kill the undead, but because the zombies punch right through  masterwork steel armor.
I guess they still need more experience.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 08:45:01 am »

Build a drawbridge over the dumping pile, raise it before dumping, drop it after. No body parts, nothing to raise.
I have a setup in which the bridge is controlled by a pressure plate in the doorway of a particular dwarf's bedroom. It cuts down on the brief slowdown I get from raising and lowering a bridge, but still smashes the remains fairly often.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 12:26:48 pm »

Use cage traps if you're nervous.  I'd advise roughly 50% more cage traps than you'd need to stop 90% of a goblin seige. 300% more if you're in a reanimating biome; 1000% more cage traps if you're playing in a haunted biome before pulping is implemented.

And of course, make sure your weapon traps do blunt damage unless you WANT to play yak-hair asteroids.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"
Pages: 1 [2]