Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The Hand You're Dealt [5/5]  (Read 3189 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: The Hand You're Dealt [5/5]
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2013, 06:52:28 pm »

Chapter I: Betting Starts Now

Hans Weissman/Harry Baldman:

"Say... can you tell me if the changelings are actually hostile to us in any way? The changeling we have obtained seems to be an infant, yes? Could it be raised in a fashion that closely resembles human upbringing?" you ask the sage.

"Hm? It all depends on te changeling. Te first time we tried keeping one was a disaster. Te thing killed the ma and stole te other kin as well. That's why we always killed 'em after that. Sometimes, however, I've seen distraught mothers keep the changeling and raise them, and they seem fine. Rumor has it Crusader General Fetrix is a changeling, and makes sense too. He's as strong as a bear and as clever as a fox."

You head over to the crying woman, who is now on her knees praying to the High Father. The others are now keeping their space; sometimes healing works best alone.

"Ma'am, could I take a look at the changeling?"

She looks at you with red eyes. She nods, and cautiously gives you the baby. "Of course, milord, but you'll return him, yes?"

You take a look at the changeling. You can't tell if it's benevolent, but it has no way of harming anything as it is now. It looks just like a child; the only deformity being it's fanged teeth.

"That changeling is the most human looking one I've ever seen," comments the Sage, peering over your shoulder.

It moves a little, making soft sounds. What do you do with it?

Jonathan Markson/GreatWyrmGold:

You check yourself for any serious wounds. You find no wounds on your body, and have even less wounds than you had imagined! You begin retrieving the core, moving away the slime with your spear. You grab the core and put it in your pack. Gained Slime Core. You then begin to exit the cave. It takes a while for you to make your way out, but fortunately no beast attacked you on your way out. It is nearing dusk soon, and you start heading for the forest.

In the forest you hear rustling again, and Gnar appears behind you. "Why, if it isn't Jonny? Wherever have you been, friend?"

"Shut up, before I make you into mutton. I've had a bad day."

"No need for that. The lone wolf couldn't handle the cave?"

"For your information, I had a wolf with me, and just so you remember: wolves eat little sheep like you."

"Why is it the only jokes you make are of eating me? Never mind, I know how to help you. Some faeries and elves have migrated here, and they've heard of you. They want to help. Want to meet them?"

Gnar gestures to a small clearing, when suddenly you feel a gust of wind and soon three beings appear. An elf, who looks like Gnar but significantly younger, which you can tell by the smaller horns. The other is a faery, a tall, winged thing with a blank, featureless face. The last is a beastman, with the shape of a wolf. Will you let them join?

Bets:

Feros bets that they will find the lost child.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2013, 07:47:17 pm »

"I would appreciate the help greatly. Thank you, Gnar."

Chat with the three new helpers.

((Watch as I find the lost child, and an argument erupts over if Feros's bet is fulfilled or not.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2013, 01:31:20 am »

"We can't really pass judgment on an infant, can we? We keep it for now - you can have it back, but I would like regular updates on what it is doing and how it is behaving, if you will."

Return the infant. Then head off to the elf woods, taking the Masque of Intimidation with me. Don't wear it. Instruct the people of the settlement to be on guard and to patrol the area around the settlement regularly while I am away.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2013, 03:45:26 am »

"Ooh. Seems are two heroes are going to meet soon. Perhaps it's time for a little sectarian conflict? Or are we going to get the 'working together' plot again? Kinda getting tired of that...Bet they are, though. Tis a shame."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2013, 03:39:48 pm »

"Ooh. Seems are two heroes are going to meet soon. Perhaps it's time for a little sectarian conflict? Or are we going to get the 'working together' plot again? Kinda getting tired of that...Bet they are, though. Tis a shame."
'I'll agree with you on that.'

((And for clarification - we'll see that one again refers to the child appearing again in either character's entry :P))
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2013, 01:51:28 am »

Posting to watch.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2013, 06:01:14 am »

"We can't really pass judgment on an infant, can we?" You turn and walk back to the mother. "We keep it for now - you can have it back, but I would like regular updates on what it is doing and how it is behaving, if you will."

The mother's eyes brighten up and grabs the baby, cradling it in her arms. "Yes! Don't worry, milord, I'll raise him to be a fine lad!"

You then arm yourself and bring your Masque, attaching it to your belt. Apparently it only works when you wear it, and even children have no trouble looking at the Masque if no one's wearing it. You instruct the settlers to be on guard and protect themselves. You instruct some of the men you've grown to trust over the time you've been here to patrol and guard the settlement. After your preparations you finally leave for the elfwoods.

You take quite some time finding it, despite it being vastly large and overgrown. When you finally find an entrance to the woods, you suddenly feel an eerie feeling, as if you're being watched. You place your hand on your sword, ready to strike when you can. You find no trouble whatsoever, and your path is actually quite peaceful. You look around for any sign of danger, but you can't see anything.

You decide to take a rest and enjoy the unnatural tranquil for a while. Suddenly, as you take a swig from your flask, three figures jump out from the bushes! Fortunately, thanks to your superb training and enhanced senses, you manage to arm yourself in time to parry a strike from one of the attackers.

You look at your attackers. They look like goblins! Deformed and outcast Fey, they are used by elves as thugs and assassins to do their tasks. They are nearly your height, with grey skin, though most of their bodies are covered in furs from dead animals. They have grossly large heads, which you imagine they have a hard time keeping up. They have large, round, completely black eyes, and their mouth is stretched as if they were grinning. They each hold a knife.

Goblins are known to the the ones that kidnap children, so the sudden appearance of these attackers was extreme luck, ironically. Maybe you could find the child, but that would be a problem with monsters pointing knives at you.

"I would appreciate the help greatly. Thank you, Gnar."

"Don't mention it Jonny. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll have to go."

You turn to face Gnar again. "So soon? But I just got ba-" He's gone again. "Ugh. Guess politeness isn't an instinct. So, I'm Jonathan Markson. What're your names?"

The elf speaks first, with a bright, typical elf face, unlike Gnar's cunning, mysterious one. "My name's Ruut. I come from the Grove, and Gnar sought me out to help you. I don't know why he'd send me though. I'm not much good at fighting, but I can see well and I'm fast."

The beastman speaks next. "So this is the Apex Predator of the Grove? Tch." He scoffs. "Whatever, I'm Warrick. If you can't live up to your name, I'll protect you myself."

The faery speaks last, telepathically. "Forgive Warrick. He's just insecure when someone's actually stronger. My name is Aeri, and I am the Queen's Trickster. I specialize in illusions, so if you ever need to hide or change your appearance, I can help."

"Great! Now all we've got to do is kill the Plaguespitter."

"Not yet," says Aeri, gesturing to what looks like three creatures attacking a warrior. "My illusions are fighting something."

Bets:

Lo bets that the two will cooperate.

Feros accepts the bet.

I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2013, 07:47:13 am »

Don't think of them as monsters. That's a no-no. Think of them as... different. Yes, different works.

Be on the defensive, try not to get stabbed, shout:

"Whoever it is out there, I am here to parley, not to fight!"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2013, 09:38:01 am »

"Interesting."
Watch the fight.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2013, 09:50:53 am »

Heh.Heh.Heh.Heh.

Increase the number of Goblins from 3 to 13 [20 Points]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2013, 10:04:34 am »

((I'm 90% sure that the goblins are just illusions.))
Sig

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2013, 07:14:15 pm »

You try to remain defensive, parrying and dodging the goblins blows. As you block the first two goblins, the third one comes up behind you and whacks you in the leg! You fall on your knees, and the goblin jumps on your back. You try to shake off the goblin, and you stab at it with your sword. The goblin lets out a yelp as you pierce it's torso, which also pierces your back by accident. The goblin lets go and falls off, vanishing in a cloud of smoke.

Illusions? "Whoever it is out there, I am here to parley, not to fight!"

No reply. The goblins again try to latch on to you. Unfortunately, your leg still hurts and you trip, allowing the goblins to leap on to your back. They begin clawing at you, and you can't get them off. Suddenly, the goblins let go, and start to shake violently, loosing out horrible screams. A black aura begins to surround them, and the multiply! Gambler increased goblins from 3 to 13! You are now surrounded by 13 goblins, each wielding large knives.

"This isn't fair..."

You wonder what to do. You could probably take on the goblins, considering your strength, but you'll uselessly tire yourself out. You have some spells hidden up your sleeve, and you also have the Masque.

"Interesting."

You and your party hide behind the bushes, and Aeri casts an invisibility ward nearby to conceal you. You watch the human fight the illusions, and has quite a rumble with them. He manages to dispel one of them, but he has trouble with the other two. You watch him being beaten by the illusions, but something's happening.

The illusions suddenly let go and stop. You see a black aura surround them, and the goblins multiply! Ten more goblins surround the human, each with a large knife in hand.

"Hey Aeri, weren't three illusions enough?"

"These aren't illusions. And they're not mine, anymore. We should leave. This could get ugly."

Ruut suddenly stands up. "We can't just leave him to be murdered! The purpose of the illusions was to scare away people from real threats!"

Warrick growls. "Since when did you care for the invaders?"

"It's not that I care for him, it's just that if he dies and he doesn't go back, more will arrive here and be killed as well! Soon, they'll bring armed humans!"

They all look at you for your answer.

Bets:

Quoth uses 20 points to increase the goblins. It goes wrong from a bad roll!

Dying of laughter?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2013, 09:02:11 pm »

"Ruut's right. Fear is a path which can be effective, if you walk the fine line separating 'not worth worrying about' and 'worth anything to exterminate'. This...this crosses that line...besides, if we help them, this opens up alternate paths to success. Leaving him, letting him die, leads merely to various choices of exile."
Johnathan glances at the warrior. "Of course, there is one slight hitch. Needless to say, if we appeared as-is, he would suspect we were in league with the goblins. Aeri, could you make all of you look human? Or at least Warrick?"

If he agrees:
"Excellent. Please do so. Warrick? You take the left, I'll take the right. Careful--whatever's going on, it's fishy, and I wouldn't be surprised if these were a bit tougher than normal. Ruut, sit back for now unless you have a bow or something concealed and you're confident you won't hit any of us on accident. Aeri, dispel or comfuse the goblins if you can, but if you can't stay with Ruut. Everyone understand?"
Attack the goblins, taking the right side, stabbing at goblins with my spear.

If Aeri disagrees:

"Hm. That's unfortunate. Well, we can't just leave him. Stay back unless I'm in dire danger, I'll help."
Attack the goblins alone.
Sig

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2013, 06:09:50 am »

"Huh."

Don the Masque of Intimidation, try to project a menacing aura as I stab at the goblins.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2013, 08:27:37 pm »

Turn will be up soon, hopefully.
Dying of laughter?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]