Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: mass immigration  (Read 1803 times)

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: mass immigration
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 03:20:15 am »

to make things easier, you can go in the 'manager' position and 'order' job. Order 40 beds built and the manager will give the order in automatic. No need to keep on piling them up in the carpenter workshop.

I became a big fan of the dfhack workflow plugin and the planning mode utility.

1) If you run dfhack with standard settings, alt+w is the workflow shortcut (look in your dfhack.init file). Do the following:

In your carpenter, (a)dd a (b)ed to bed made; set to (r)epeat. Now press alt+w, which brings up the workflow plugin in the right hand pane. Add 'A' to set a range for beds, standard is 5-10. Press esc to get out of the plugin. Now, the job will be suspended and re-activated automatically to make sure that the number of unused beds is between 5 and 10.

Repeat this process for tables, thrones, cabinets, coffers, and doors at the mason. It's probably best to have 2 carpenter and 2-4 masonry workshops.

This means that you will always have furniture waiting to be placed, and if you place them, more will be made.

2) Download and setup the building planner from http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119575.0

Now, if you layout your bedrooms, you can activate (P)lanning mode. This means that you can order beds placed before they are made. By using various filters (e.g. material:stone) you can control what will end up there eventually. So, after your 44 new bedrooms are dug, you can instantly place beds, doors, coffers, and cabinets there. Make sure to set material filter to stone for coffers and probably for the others to prevent bags and special furniture to be placed accidentally.

The good thing is, the workflow plugin will make sure that the furniture will get build. So, planning mode + workflow is essentially a sort of manager where you order X things as well, but you can immediately place them and no longer have to think about it.

Of course, once this works well you can do the same for designing the dining hall and for ordering drinks (I set 200 drinks), food (200 roasts), socks (30 socks) and the same for other clothing.

Elarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 04:05:33 am »

That's one big migration wave you got there. I don't get that many at the moment, playing on a crummy lappy so I set a POPCAP of 50 in the init file. Once I move to the new rig I'll crank it up a lot more than that.

Anyway, with that many new migrants I can't imagine how many extra cats/dogs they brought with them, I'll assume you now have a healthy supply of cat/dog meat for making meals with ;-)

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 10:38:12 am »

That's one big migration wave you got there. I don't get that many at the moment, playing on a crummy lappy so I set a POPCAP of 50 in the init file. Once I move to the new rig I'll crank it up a lot more than that.

Anyway, with that many new migrants I can't imagine how many extra cats/dogs they brought with them, I'll assume you now have a healthy supply of cat/dog meat for making meals with ;-)

Meh, I lost the fort already. I survived the immigration wave but eventually lost to a tantrum spiral after I foolishly locked out half my fort during a snowstorm

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 03:27:03 pm »

I got 65 migrants in a wave once

It was the third wave.
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 11:14:23 pm »

In terms of animals, I got most of the ones at my fortress either as immigrants (yes, animals immigrate in with dwarves) and if you don't get shearable animals from there, you can usually buy them from traders... Immigrants are always tricky because they have such random labors enabled (why would I ever need someone that makes cheese but doesn't milk animals?) make sure you check the unit list to give idlers something to do, or they might start... making friends (dun dun dun)

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 11:25:57 pm »

Whoa whoa whoa, you can tell what your dwarfs in a fey mood are needing!?!? Where does it show up!??!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 11:28:13 pm »

Whoa whoa whoa, you can tell what your dwarfs in a fey mood are needing!?!? Where does it show up!??!
use q to examine the workshop, if they are missing something, they will list everything they need, so just pay attention to what you already have and use the wiki if you don't understand what they're asking for (yes, that happens)

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 11:32:16 pm »

It depends on which kind of mood you got. Start with looking at claimed workshop. See the wiki page for details.

Or you can use a 'showmood' command in dfhack.

The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.
Pages: 1 [2]