Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I accidentally melted one of a dwarf's two masterpieces...  (Read 997 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
So I accidentally melted one of a dwarf's two masterpieces...
« on: November 01, 2013, 07:12:43 pm »

tldr: new masterpieces appear to soothe the pain of losing old ones.

I was manipulating moods by setting a forge to accept only dabblers, and most of the remaining unmooded dwarves were in the military. To recycle the silver, I was melting down the dabblers' axes and being careful to not melt any masterpieces. The military at that point had maxed-out stats, so they were producing a couple each during their training.

I wasn't careful enough, and the inevitable 'a masterwork has been lost!' message popped up and the fortress went from being entirely happy or ecstatic to mostly happy or ecstatic with one miserable dwarf. Oops. Since the bad thought for art defacement is dependent on the number of remaining masterpieces, I thought that maybe if she made some more it'd lessen the bad thought. So I set up a workshop for her to realise her long-delayed dreams of working with pig tail fabric, and waited for the first announcement. When it did, she jumped from miserable to unhappy (bordering on fine).

...Now she's actually Fine, her unhappiness finally cured by a nice meal at a table surrounded by moss, rough stone, and a couple of random artifacts. Dwarves.

Masterpiece number was gained from searching the gamelog.

Edit: oh great, I just melted another one and now she's back to miserable. I have no idea how that happened.
Edit2: the melt pile is accepting the MW weapons. I just melted another dwarf's stuff, though he must have made more because he's just dropped to Fine.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:23:56 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I accidentally melted one of a dwarf's two masterpieces...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 09:20:14 pm »

The wiki says this on the "thoughts" page, apparently the price for art defacement is -200/number of masterworks created, so initially, your dwarf had -100, then only -50

Just engrave the dining hall, suddenly all dwarves are at +1000 and having their child die doesn't so much as dent their ecstaticness.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:22:10 pm by Zammer990 »
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 10:51:51 pm »

The wiki says this on the "thoughts" page, apparently the price for art defacement is -200/number of masterworks created, so initially, your dwarf had -100, then only -50

No, it's -200/remaining number of masterworks. So it would have been -200, then -100 as soon as another masterwork was created.

Which explains the massive jump. Thereafter it would have gone to -66, then -50, then -40, etc. Each successive masterwork having smaller impact.

I've incinerated entire stacks of my chef's best meals to clear space and he doesn't care because there are still 200 more stacks of his masterworks lying around.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 04:05:10 am »

I wasn't sure if creating more mastenworks would 'retroactively' lessen the bad thought.

It may be possible to improve a dwarf's mood not by making them feel better, but traumatising them to the point where they care less about what's happened to them recently. How to give 'Tragedy' thoughts without driving them completely over the edge though...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 07:06:09 am »

Drop kittens next to the dining room/ major chokepoints.