Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Armok's War (A General Babkadol Community Fortress)  (Read 2709 times)

Spirallances_

• Bay Watcher
  • Spirallances an epic failure in dwarven history
    • View Profile
Re: Armok's War (A General Babkadol Community Fortress)
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 06:34:24 pm »

Journal entry day 24

The general asked me into her "office" today ,really just a bunch of cloths wraped around the wagon, while I was in tere she got buisy writing some plans and and I said that we should delve some lodgings maybe even build a temporary wood cabin for high class citizens like me, but she just rolled her eyes at me and said something about how that wasn't a good idea. She hen I reminded her of my request to be renamed expidition leader and she said I could be along with book keeper she said it as though it was the most excruciating thing she had to do in her life. She then told me to go pick berrys ME pick berrys like some commoner but I had to considering she must be at least 4 times as strong as me and walked off to go get berrys. She then started bossing the others around like she was the leader but I am in no condition to stand up to her now....
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:42:25 pm by Spirallances_ »
Ah ha.  Spirallances...
                [-_-]~ Text Ninja I like it.

Spirallances_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 08:36:33 pm »

Also are there any animals in the fort? Also can we get an update about how the fort like rooms and crafts areas?
Ah ha.  Spirallances...

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2013, 12:50:29 am »

(So got us through to the end of Summer, and got a migrant wave so decided to stop to give people a chance to claim dorfs and see the story so far.  A lot of our migrants have military skills already (albeit not very good ones, but some)).

General Urist Babkadol looked over the fortress as it took shape under her tutelage.  They had dug out significantly, but hadn't found enough soil to do anything meaningful with yet.  She wanted a nice farm set up, something to ensure never needing to pick berries outside again, but without making some sort of flooding and draining systems, they were out of luck so far.  Digging down and under the soil where their wagon was would be an option, but that can wait for now.

She had had to give Spirallances an "office" to do his work in.  The office was a quickly carved chair at the end of an unfinished hallway, but he didn't seem to mind. He didn't have to pick berries, so it placated him.  Some of the other dwarves grumbled over special treatment, but the hammer on her belt loop quieted any muttering.    She had taken it on herself to set up the various workshops….all but the tanners and butchers inside for safety.  The drawbridge was also completely set up, and tested to ensure it was working.  The fort could be cut off from the outside world at the pull of a lever, and if they could get a source of water inside, and the farms set up, it might be best to do just that permanently, or at least as often as possible.  Something to consider.

--------
As the General looked over her plans, and surveyed the entrance to the fort, she noticed a group approaching from the west.  Five very lost looking dwarves were approaching with a plethora of animals.  They asked her for directions to the fort, and she pointed to the entrance.  They seemed almost shocked that they had dug into a natural divot into the surface, as if concealing the entrance was a new idea.  These dwarves were not the kind she was used to…although since history had been rewritten, she was unsure if any dwarves like the kind she was used to had ever existed.   She took careful notes of the new arrivals, and one in particular caught her eye.  He said his name was Splint…odd name for a dwarf, but his build was perfect for a swordsdwarf.

An excerpt from those notes:
A Male Craftsdwarf (clothied, leatherworker, stone crafter) who I think would be a good swordsdwarf.  His name is Splint.
A Female Wood Crafter.  Her talents mark her as a prime candidate for marksdwarf training.
A Male farmer, who should make a fine hammerdwarf one day (has 4 pages of family relations)
A female farmer who will make a fine swordsdwarf one day.
A female beekeeper, who will make a fine speardwarf one day.
A Female Brewer who will make a good markswarf.
(Note: if I say they will make a fine ___dwarf that means they already have skills in those areas.

Hyde you have your pick of the unnamed migrants).
We have also gained:
2 reindeer calves (both male)
A female goat kid
A male poult
A female poult
A peahen
In addition to our hunting dog, Yak Cow, and Female 2-hump camel, we have nine animals.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2013, 03:46:34 am »

Little patience and willpower.... How the hell is it I always get dwarves that accidently reflect my actual self?

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2013, 11:18:07 am »

I’ve decided that in order to secure the farming area we desperately need, I will need to do some terrain modification.  I might also be able to give a certain bookkeeper a place to work where I don’t have to listen to his complaints.  The project would take some labor, however, especially if it was not to compromise the security of the fortress itself.  It would take careful consideration of her options to get it to work properly.

Just as we got the last set of migrants settled in, a new wave has arrived.  I just started ordering the carving of our bedrooms, now I have to deal with more new dwarves.
A Female Fisherdwarf
A Male Engraver
A Male Fisherdwarf
A Female Animal Caretaker
A Female Potter

It isn’t as bad as I had thought, an additional five dwarves is not a horrible occurance.  It is a shame none of them brought useful equipment, like picks.
----
Screams of panic could be heard from the forest where The General was installing a cage trap to capture some of the local wildlife.  She grabbed the hammer from her belt and ran to the fortress.  Bursting through the main entryway, a bolt whizzed by her head, striking a massive bird in the side.  The migrant that shot the bolt, the potter, reloaded, but The General saw a more expedient way to deal with the situation.  Hefting her hammer, she smashed the bird in the head, sending it flying into the wall.  With the bird dead, the dozen dwarves who had fled in terror looked at her in awe.  She wiped the blood from her hammer, and went back to work on her cage traps.  The damned thing probably got in through the open roof of the special project.  That would be finished soon enough, though.

----
The project is finally finished.  Now Spirallances can shut up about his cabin in the woods.

The bedrooms were also completed, more than enough for their current needs.  Now to set up offices and other niceties for dwarves like herself who had a lot of paperwork that needed doing.

Spirallances_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2013, 09:50:19 pm »

Journal entry day 35

I was finally given an "office" really it was a shabby chair thrown at the end of a hallway not even a table for me to write at! Although it is better than picking berrys. I little have to do much work other than assessing the outposts small stocks.

Journal entry day 45

The general had started to set up some cage traps in the wilderness to catch some animals a large bird jumper through an open hole in the fort and started causing a ruckus I couldn't  if anyone got hurt but one of the dwarves called out for help and the general came along and knocked it right in to a wall killing it. The project was finished today which appears to be a tower I think but I can't be sure they didn't let me up in the upper levels if there even are any but that's where my office presides currently which is terrible the entire tower is made of wood there are flies and whatnot all over I posted a letter outside the generals office noting my disapproval of my current place of work and how I need a proper dwarven office I also noted at the bottom how we might start some games with some animals we catch in the wilderness maybe I could use my contacts in dwarven embassies and get some elephants that would be entertaining but we'd have to dig out an arena. We also got some migrants but none of them seem to be very interesting. I finally got a bedroom although not exactly a nobles room it was at least a place to call my own although  bed wasn't against the wall which was strange and there was no coffee or even a vest but no matter. I also left a letter in the generals office to import some bumblebee mess and mint green gems if she gets the chance to I'm sure our outpost will be overflowing in mugs and crafts by the end of the year! I also might adopt a reindeer they're so majestic in their herds we do have two male calves.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:52:46 pm by Spirallances_ »
Ah ha.  Spirallances...

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 07:11:20 am »

Going to be slow posting as I'm working on final projects and have finals next week.

BTW, we ate one of the reindeer....there was an issue where we needed some leather and apparently falcons and stuff only give skulls.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2013, 04:07:14 am »

Tiny animals tend to not have much skin on me. Or anything for that matter. At least nothing horrific befell the place without me being around.

Spirallances_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 09:36:30 pm »

I presume that this thread is dead yea?
Ah ha.  Spirallances...
Pages: 1 2 [3]