Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Potential Trap and questions  (Read 524 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Potential Trap and questions
« on: October 30, 2013, 06:25:50 pm »

I'm settled in the middle of a 3 way intersection river, with the river flowing several z levels down and the third intersecting by a waterfall perpendicular to it. I began setting up and then dug into one of the sides of the gorge, then built a bridge across the gorge and most of my fortress is on that side. The bridge is extremely close to the waterfall, so I was considering, what if when the water froze in the winter(which it does) if I built a reservoir around the waterfall and then set up a floodgate release system, so I could use a pressure plate or a lever to release the floods, and knocking any invading enemies off the bridge into the river or onto the ice several z levels below. Bonus points if they explode when they fall, uber extra points if the water freezes right as I release the floods, instantly killing the invaders.

How do bridges react to flowing water? Or ice on them for example? The bridges are raising bridges, not retracting. How would that function? 
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Trap and questions
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 07:23:31 pm »

How do bridges react to flowing water? Or ice on them for example? The bridges are raising bridges, not retracting. How would that function? 
woah what DOES happen if there's ice? I would assumr that if there water on them when they're down which freezes, you won't be able to raise them until it thaws, but i don't know if you can lower them through ice if the water would have been flowing above the bridge before it froze
uber extra points if the water freezes right as I release the floods, instantly killing the invaders.
that's gonna be impossible to time! good luck.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 01:10:02 pm »

I think it's time for some !!SCIENCE!!
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 03:33:55 pm »

!!Science!! might work, i.e. thawing the ice with magma then releasing it so it can flash-freeze your enemies. I suspect this wouldn't work all well around a bridge, though. Ice has an annoying habit of destroying furniture and constructions on the bottom of freezing tiles.