Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help. My Dwarves are trapped inside an invisible barrier  (Read 505 times)

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help. My Dwarves are trapped inside an invisible barrier
« on: November 29, 2013, 04:02:13 am »

Hi,

I built my obsidian farm, put in magma, apply water, start digging.

I ordered my dwarves to channel the area out, but after a while the stopped, and now nobody can get out or in.

There is a five tile wide entrance, but there is an invisible line nothing can cross.

Military, even if ordered, will not walk into the farm.

The Diggers can't come out.  And my legendary Marksdwarf-Squad can't come out either. They are drowsy and starving, and I will drop some supplies from above if I can, but I don't know how this happened, or how to get them out.

I mapped out the line with build order for floors. I will try now to build floors to have access again.

To answer the first few questions, I checked the burrows thrice, there is no active burrow for my diggers, the alarms are off, and even when, the are inside the burrow.
No, there is no channel beneath them.

Okay, they cant reach the food I dropped in, I fear the diggers are trapped on their tile, the archers walk around above the obsidian, but can't get down.

I try building floors to them now.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 06:41:52 am by JujuBubu »

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help. My Dwarves are trapped inside an invisible barrier
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 04:14:07 am »

Hi,

I built my obsidian farm, put in magma, apply water, start digging.

I ordered my dwarves to channel the area out, but after a while the stopped, and now nobody can get out or in.

There is a five tile wide entrance, but there is an invisible line nothing can cross.

Military, even if ordered, will not walk into the farm.

The Diggers can't come out.  And my legendary Marksdwarf-Squad can't come out either. They are drowsy and starving, and I will drop some supplies from above if I can, but I don't know how this happened, or how to get them out.

I mapped out the line with build order for floors. I will try now to build floors to have access again.

To answer the first few questions, I checked the burrows thrice, there is no active burrow for my diggers, the alarms are off, and even when, the are inside the burrow.
No, there is no channel beneath them.

Okay, they cant reach the food I dropped in, I fear the diggers are trapped on their tile, the archers walk around above the obsidian, but can't get down.

I try building floors to them now.

You said channel so this sounds like a broken ramp problem.  If they have rubble near by make one a mason and build some stairs.  Or dig some stairs into a wall.  Just remember you need downstairs on the z-level above your upstairs.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 04:49:48 am »

Could be a temperature issue, given the magma.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 04:52:58 am »

I could free the archers on the upper levels by digging a tunnel,
but the diggers stand on their ramp and cant move, not even to the next tile.

I tried to build on their tile.
I got this :  obsidian : -5873000010 / 3

I try to remove the ramp by remove ramp/slope designation but they do nothing
I will try to dump some stone on them and hope the survive.

While digging access tunnels next to the ramp the miners got out.
They were stuck on the ramp with no way down.

Then the forgotten beast with its poisonous vapor got in and killed 3 haulers a mason and two of my military.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 06:43:12 am »

well the dwarves are free but the barrier still exists .. i am trying to reset the tile settings by creating another round of obsidian.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 08:03:53 am »

I think this normally only happens if you have set TEMPERATURE:OFF in the d_init.txt file (some plug-ins might do this without asking). For proper obsidian farming, you need to turn temperature on.

As i understand it, a file's temperature is forced to "too hot to enter" when it gets flooded with magma, regardless of init settings, and with temperature off, it never cools down again. When trying to build in such a square, garbage data flows over into the pathing calculations and produces meaningless (typically huge negative) distances.

There's a bug report on this specific issue, although it's labelled as duplicate of a much more benign "lingering warmth" display bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6033

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 08:25:48 am »

that seemed to be the problem.

I turned temperature on and flames errupted in my obisdian farm and one of my miners spontanously combusted.

I thought it was turned on, because all my ponds on the surface evaporated.