Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Greek Cross Design Blueprint (QF)  (Read 4109 times)

MgDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Greek Cross Design Blueprint (QF)
« on: November 07, 2013, 08:21:06 pm »

Well sorry if this is the wrong section to post this, but after seeing the bedroom designs (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Bedroom_Design) i liked the Greek Cross Design, but is a pain to dig all that manually, and do it 5-6 times to make it a complete bedroom quarter, although is z-efficient.

So, i did a Multi-phase QuickFort blueprint with the digging, building and bedroom assignation, totally compatible with DFHack's Planning Mode (in Quickfort mode ofc) easily transformable to do the 6 levels required with just one button.
My question is: What i need to do to add it to the wiki? I think the blueprint would be handy for the wiki readers, you know.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/pmcorbyokimtp2q/Greek_Design.xls

- Holds 32 Dwarfs per floor
- Bedrooms of 3 tiles each
- Can assign furniture (Currently is a Bed, Container, Cabinet) automatically (Works better in Planning mode AND Quickfort mode in DFHack)
- Can query all the beds to make bedrooms
- Easily Transformable to fill X number of floors (Alt+R to transform, then add Xd (6d will repeat the blueprint itself 6 times to down))

If requested, i can make the 48 tile design blueprint, which will save you 2 floors if z-space is low.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Greek Cross Design Blueprint (QF)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 10:50:20 pm »

It always makes me happy to see the Greek Cross design get the attention it deserves.  I like my variant best, of course, wherein every Dwarf gets an obscenely huge 3x3 room, and each of the 4 corners features a big ol' stockpile room.

(Wow, I've been away for a while, huh?)
Sanity is for the weak.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 02:08:35 am »

It always makes me happy to see the Greek Cross design get the attention it deserves.  I like my variant best, of course, wherein every Dwarf gets an obscenely huge 3x3 room, and each of the 4 corners features a big ol' stockpile room.

I am interested in your variant. Images?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 02:14:40 am »

I am interested in your variant. Images?

And blueprint, if possible.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 08:18:04 pm »

Unfortunately I don't have a blueprint for it, but I do have a layout example.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I used to post this thing to the forum all the time back in the day; brings back memories...

As an added bonus, here's an example of it in action, using the Three Panel Soul tileset.  I actually have a few new variations on it these days too, which cordon off specific workshops on the top floor, and which do away with the noble/dining floors by expanding the furthest-out rooms of each arm into giant super-rooms.

EDIT: Here's the variant I use now.

It's barely a Greek cross at all any more with those stockpiles, but on the plus side, I NEVER run out of storage space.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 08:42:07 pm by SkyRender »
Sanity is for the weak.

MgDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 01:48:50 pm »

Thats a very nice design, maybe i can make a blueprint for that, but for the Z-level stockpiles, what you designate in them? For example in the crafting area, the stockpile is a in (wood, non-metal stone) or a out (finished goods, furniture) stockpile or both (custom/modified stockpile)? Also in the Noble/Living Quarterz, what you put in there? Food n' booze? Considering that the living quarter is horribly room ineficient (why for armok a dwarf needs 3x3 room?).

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 03:16:08 pm »

I gave all my Dwarves such huge rooms because I like to see my Dwarves happy as a clam.  They all get smoothed and masterfully engraved walls eventually too.  It helps that the economy's still borked, so they won't get tossed out on their arses when the fort gets big enough to attract a tax collector.

As for the stockpiles, I generally have three classes: alcohol (top left), food-sans-barrels (top right), and everything else not rubbish, corpses, wood or bars in the other two corners.
Sanity is for the weak.