Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Returning player looking for updated tutorials  (Read 1000 times)

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Returning player looking for updated tutorials
« on: October 17, 2013, 12:45:20 pm »

Hey all, I played DF a bit in the past but never really got into it to much(made a fort that fell to goblins and melancholy from what I remember, and did some adventure mode quests along with some other forts a long time ago I cannot even remember). After playing Gnomoria for the last few weeks and basically beating it I have a desire to give DF another shot because of the depth of gameplay, and I noticed a new version should be coming soon. I figured I would try and get a jump start and relearn how to play. I last played on version 31.25(still have it on my HDD) over a year and a half ago, and would like to watch some updated tutorial videos if anyone has made any? The videos above I remember watching through when I started playing a few years ago lol(have come and gone a few times other than just the 31 patch). I also remember having some trouble understanding the video creator. Obviously there has been a few updates since then, and I would love to watch through a set of current video tutorials(or even a playthrough with good in-depth descriptions for things). I am thinking about just downloading the newest lazynoobpack to get started as well, as I would definitely want to use a good tileset and a few mods to help out.

Thanks for any guidance to the right direction for my new adventures :).

*edit* I just noticed that the text tutorial author above has written a book that seems to be $17, is it worth that price? Seems a little steep for a guide, but if it's kept updated and walks you through the game it may be worth it?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:05:26 pm by MaGicBush »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Returning player looking for updated tutorials
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 01:41:27 pm »

there are a lot of good youtube lets play movies for the current DF. Even the tutorial on the wiki isn't far outdated. The most notable things changed from those tutorials are (I think) the hauling which interferes a bit with farming - getting creative with seed stockpiles, and minecarts/wheelbarrows, which you can work without. Evil regions are now really evil, with weather that can kill anything caught outside or turn them into brainless killer husks. Were-beasts visit the fort and may infect dwarfs and vampires will hide in the general populace. Taming caught wild animals has been implemented. Adult wild animals will never be domesticated but can be kept at a decent level after some practise, but never try to tame invader mounts. If you embark near a place listed in your neighbour list as 'town' or 'tower', it's controlled by a necromancer and expect fun. Metal stuff finally actually costs multiple bars to create. Dwarfs wear clothing again! No more fortress death from FB extract spatters and bare feet, but they get very unhappy if they have to go around naked.

Most of this is ofc. in the changelog. I don't think there are other big changes that may make the game unplayable if you already know DF31.25, making booze and such hasn't changed. Considering that, I'd consider paying for any guide a waste, though some people seem to like it. Most of the info you need on the new features is on the wiki, I think.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 02:22:30 pm »

there are a lot of good youtube lets play movies for the current DF. Even the tutorial on the wiki isn't far outdated. The most notable things changed from those tutorials are (I think) the hauling which interferes a bit with farming - getting creative with seed stockpiles, and minecarts/wheelbarrows, which you can work without. Evil regions are now really evil, with weather that can kill anything caught outside or turn them into brainless killer husks. Were-beasts visit the fort and may infect dwarfs and vampires will hide in the general populace. Taming caught wild animals has been implemented. Adult wild animals will never be domesticated but can be kept at a decent level after some practise, but never try to tame invader mounts. If you embark near a place listed in your neighbour list as 'town' or 'tower', it's controlled by a necromancer and expect fun. Metal stuff finally actually costs multiple bars to create. Dwarfs wear clothing again! No more fortress death from FB extract spatters and bare feet, but they get very unhappy if they have to go around naked.

Most of this is ofc. in the changelog. I don't think there are other big changes that may make the game unplayable if you already know DF31.25, making booze and such hasn't changed. Considering that, I'd consider paying for any guide a waste, though some people seem to like it. Most of the info you need on the new features is on the wiki, I think.

Yea I have only bought strategy guides on about 3 games in my lifespan and those were very complex games(Morrowind, etc). So I was somewhat tempted with this game to do so as it I believe is more complex than that even. I am not sure that I will though as I just can't see paying for a guide when the game itself is free even if Toady endorsed it, and may just get a free copy of the pdf :P, or browse youtube for some lets plays. Thanks for the help on the changes I can look forward to :). Taming sounds fun as well as clothing lol, heck the tower thing sounds intriguing as well(and zombie dwarfs??), I am now officially sucked in hah.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:27:13 pm by MaGicBush »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:35:11 pm »

definately zombie dwarfs. Your own if you're not careful. And zombie mussels. There are some issues with zombie dwarfs and coffins and various other stuff, nothing unmanageable.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, yes, you can become a were-creature adventurer, or a vampire, or a necromancer, or a vampire-necromancer, but not a vampire were-creature. Also, were-creatures don't always make sense, so try to avoid becomming a were-ferret in preference of were-rhino
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 06:03:20 pm »

definately zombie dwarfs. Your own if you're not careful. And zombie mussels. There are some issues with zombie dwarfs and coffins and various other stuff, nothing unmanageable.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, yes, you can become a were-creature adventurer, or a vampire, or a necromancer, or a vampire-necromancer, but not a vampire were-creature. Also, were-creatures don't always make sense, so try to avoid becomming a were-ferret in preference of were-rhino

LOL, I will attempt to avoid that. Can't wait to get started :).

Mythalinear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 03:56:29 pm »

The Wiki and the Forums are pretty useful and always up to date.

I accidentally turned into a wear panda. Don't laugh, panda's can bite your arm off! Then I trolled all the villagers by doing stuff like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYz3sl0LEA4

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 11:42:39 pm »

The Wiki and the Forums are pretty useful and always up to date.

I accidentally turned into a wear panda. Don't laugh, panda's can bite your arm off! Then I trolled all the villagers by doing stuff like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYz3sl0LEA4

LOL those are some funny commercials!