Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Roll To Investigate - Post Mortem, and Explanation of Events  (Read 18318 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - Cosmic Horror, and Fuse Boxes
« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2013, 01:01:21 am »

Calmly get up off of the bed, and toss away that card. Then calmly leave the room.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate - Upstairs Downstairs
« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2013, 11:26:52 am »

Get up and look around for something interesting.

(( Unless he had one in his thieves kit then no. ))

((Found it, it's in your original equipment list back on page 1))

You pick yourself up and look around basement room 1. In the smallish room are scattered tools, pipe, lumber, nails, screws, cans, buckets and so forth. The side walls are of brick. The west wall facing the stairs is of wood, as are the walls of the room under the stairs.

(3) As you look around you hear occasional scratching noises. You think maybe from the west wall.

Calmly get up off of the bed, and toss away that card. Then calmly leave the room.

You get up, drop the card and walk calmly from the room. You are back in the upstairs hallway.

Spoiler: House Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:28:49 am by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 03, 2013, 12:24:08 pm »

Take a careful look around the place.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - Cosmic Horror, and Fuse Boxes
« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2013, 06:40:35 pm »

Walk slowly down the stairs.

The Derail Thread

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #199 on: October 24, 2013, 11:01:27 am »

Soo...this died apparently.

Lets do a postmortem. What went wrong?

Also do you want to know what was going on in the house?
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 24, 2013, 11:15:05 am »

Soo...this died apparently.

You're the GM. It's your call, really. I can say that I did forget this existed, though.

Slow update speed, I would say, and less-than-active players. Also, an RTD isn't the best format to try to do horror in. Finally, while there was action going on at certain points, it wasn't particularly intriguing action, considering that pretty much the only way to react to it was to run away and hope for the best.

Also do you want to know what was going on in the house?

Corbitt acting up from beyond the grave due to that spell he did, probably. Or some sort of monstrosity that took his place.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll To Investigate - Post Mortem
« Reply #202 on: October 24, 2013, 06:25:02 pm »

Slow update speed, I would say, and less-than-active players. Also, an RTD isn't the best format to try to do horror in. Finally, while there was action going on at certain points, it wasn't particularly intriguing action, considering that pretty much the only way to react to it was to run away and hope for the best.

The update speed was fast. 1-2 times per day when everyone posted.
About every 1-2 days whether everyone had posted or not.

Really how was there anything here you couldn't react to? It wasn't that nothing worked. No one tried anything.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Let me describe how the game looked from my end, I think it will be cathartic:

Give players a clue or lead? They ignore it.
Let them see the phenomenon they're here to investigate? They leave the room where it happened.
Give them a chance to RP some horror. They'll explicitly state their character is unaffected.

:o I've re-written this a few times. It keeps coming out more angry sounding and ranty then I intended. My point is that this is obviously a serious communication problem here. I'm sitting here on the GM side saying "Why won't they interact with any of the situations I set out?" and if what you say is true the players are sitting on their side saying "Why won't he give us anything to do?"

If players had actually said in or OOC that they were stumped I could have helped. But I freely admit it would have been better GM'ing on my part if I had asked.

Maybe it was an expectations problem, or just like you say just not a game suited to RTD format, which often has games requiring a short attention span.

The use of the word "Investigate" in the title is key. You aren't just handed plot and goals automatically. You have to at least ask the right question; You get leads and follow them up.

For example there is a whole set of useful information you never got because no one interviewed the most recent residents of the house despite the fact that they are still alive. I think I worked the fact that they were in a nearby asylum into NPC dialog three times before giving up.

And apparently no one picked up on the fact that Corbitt was part of a secret society that might still exist. So you never found their church.

Maybe I should have been more explicit in formally announcing that things like that were a possibility. But I was uncertain of how far to go in that regard. Because much of the game play was supposed to be players figuring stuff out for themselves and deciding where to look for the next clue.

Oh sure, there is a high probability of dying by the claws of a horrible monster from beyond at the end. But the run-up is basically supposed to be a procedural detective story.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 24, 2013, 08:27:27 pm »

Well, with the fail to RP horror, failure to attack the bed, and failure to stay in the room that event happened in, the line of actions I was having my character follow after waking up in the bed was to calmly, quietly, leave the room, find an axe, and end that bed's existence.
I was just doing it slowly, to make it seem like the event was messing with him.

Looking back, I should have been more clear about that. Sorry.
The Derail Thread

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #204 on: October 27, 2013, 12:10:02 pm »

Well, with the fail to RP horror, failure to attack the bed, and failure to stay in the room that event happened in, the line of actions I was having my character follow after waking up in the bed was to calmly, quietly, leave the room, find an axe, and end that bed's existence.
I was just doing it slowly, to make it seem like the event was messing with him.

Looking back, I should have been more clear about that. Sorry.

It's fine cheese. Some games just don't work out right. I'm just trying to learn what I can from this one, because I want to run lovecraftian and/or detective stuff that works at some point.

I want to know.

Ok, there's how it works.

Corbitt gets hold of some outsider knowledge. Probably from Nyarlathotep or something, but it doesn't really matter.

He learns how to transform himself into some sort of undying inhuman form. The tricky part is that this is going to take decades, and he needs to sleep for most of it. So he is literally just lying on the floor in the basement doing his best lich impression. There is a partition wall in the basement with no door in it. He's behind that.

He's been down there for generations. Dozing but aware. He wants his house left alone. If he's worried someone might discover his secret he kills them or drives them off. The optimal result as far as he is concerned is for the house to be shunned as haunted and left empty. So while he lies there awaiting apotheosis he uses his powers toward that end.

He has limited telekinesis, short term mind control (with amnesia for the victim), and the ability to summon a horrible extra-dimensional monster to do his bidding.

He's supposed to be clever and lie low. So arguably he shouldn't have reacted to the players at first, but that would have been a bit boring maybe. So i just had him leap to the conclusion that they were moving in or investigating so he started his process.

First up was some general creepy schtick, he mind controlled Boganski into eating the several months old soup that the last residents had been eating when the mother was taken away to the asylum. But his target was not of a nervous disposition enough to be scared by this weirdness.

The thumping in the bedroom, which was the one he slept in was part of a general strategy of trying to make people believe any 'haunting' was not in the basement.

Attacks on Jackson the magician with the bed and Fortesque the physician with the dagger were successive attempts to produce an injury or death which would interrupt the investigation of the house. But they would be plausible enough as accidents that the authorities would be able to rationalize the weirdness. "Oh your friend just fell through a window did he...that's your story? Are we sure you were not having an argument?"
"Oh dear, this gentleman tripped on the rickety stairs while holding a knife. Most unfortunate tsk tsk tsk." That's what the cops would say.

In the case of the Frenchman it was carefully orchestrated. In order to force him back to the stairs Corbit mind controlled Jones, who was in the kitchen at the time, to remove the fuse for the basement lights again. Jones only noticed a minor discontinuity because he regained consciousness standing in the same room doing nothing in particular.

With the lights out again Fortesque of course headed up with the dagger. It struck him and he fell down the stairs. That one very nearly worked.

The reason the basement stairs are so messed up is because he mind controlled rats and/or humans into sabotaging them and he can make the rickety structure shake with his telekinesis. (The players didn't really meet the rats in the walls. That would have been fun.)

Corbitt himself is formidable with zombie-like durability and a set of claws, but he can't move far or fast. So if the players were pro-active they would have had a shot at taking him out before his Dimensional Shambler arrived and started dragging them screaming into it's hellish home plane.

The Dagger was double edged (har!) if the players broke it he can't summon the shambler to eat them. But it would have done extra damage to Corbitt if you could hold onto it long enough to stab him. An extremely oblique clue to this was available from the father of the last family to live in the house. The power of Corbitt's mind leaked over in the man's dreams, thats why he went mad. But he also knows things. He would have been clutching a Bible and insist on reading to you the section from the life of David where he beheads Goliath with his own sword.

The final confrontation would have been a bit of a meat grinder. Like most short Cthulhu scenarios it follows a Dwarf fortress like philosophy in regard to losing.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Investigate - Post Mortem, and Explanation of Events
« Reply #205 on: October 27, 2013, 12:59:13 pm »

Never really occurred to me to try and fight haunted objects, mostly because that never helps if it's the house that's the problem. Same applied for capturing them as well. As for being unaffected, that was essentially Boganski's schtick, which is admittedly not the most interesting thing you can roll with in a horror scenario.

Also, my train of thought in regards to the whole investigating thing was "well, yeah, we're supposed to be investigating and stuff, but I don't want to get killed over it", which led to a bit of inactivity on my part. We're there to investigate, yes, but there is no real stake in it for us, the players. It's not a matter of survival, as we can leave at any time, and other things just don't conjure up as much immediacy. Even if we're rewarded with money, there's probably better, safer ways to earn a living anyway. Like being a busker.

Maybe have an RTD where you're a bunch of traveling musicians (or fantasy bards, if you want to go in that direction) doing their best to survive a village of horrid villagers and more.

EDIT: In addition, though this is a matter of my own personal preference, do away with the sanity meter. It's overly psycho-normative, in my opinion. Then again, maybe my advice is not the soundest you can listen to, as I am definitely not a fan of people going mad from revelations and so on, or Lovecraftian horror in general.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:28:36 pm by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]