Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: multi grasp  (Read 1417 times)

dashadowlord

• Bay Watcher
  • this games out to get me
    • View Profile
multi grasp
« on: October 16, 2013, 06:17:46 pm »

is there any benefit to grabbing a weapon with two hands as opposed to haveing a shield.
If life were like DF, Toady's strange mood would have produced an Artifact Game of Awesome that menaces with spikes of code ten years ago.  
But it is not.
Instead, what we have is a single obsessive mason trying to carve Mt. Rushmore.

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
Re: multi grasp
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 07:01:28 pm »

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, so maybe try using the search function next time if you didn't already.
If you did search, but didn't find anything, no worries! :)

To answer your question: I don't think it does, although in my experience multigrasp weapons (2 hand swords etc), tend to have higher penetration values in their raws than standard 1 hand equivalents - This may not always be the case (if at all...).
So in theory, they should dismember limbs etc a lot easier, but 1 hand weapons can do that too, with the added benefit of having protection, plus losing the use of one of your arms doesn't leave you without a means of defending yourself...

Note also, that if you [r]emove a shield from your backpack before [r]emoving the multigrasp weapon for use, you should be able to use the shield AND the multigrasp weapon together without issue.
This is a rather gamey/cheaty tactic however, especially when you can technically hold an infinite amount of items in your hands - multigrasp or not. Meaning you can have multiple shields, swords, multigrasp weapons, throwing items etc all in your hands at the same time; as long as you [r]emove them from your pack

dashadowlord

• Bay Watcher
  • this games out to get me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 07:27:26 pm »

yea i noticed that you could weld a multi grasp weapon and a shield at the same time i was wondering if there was like a strength bonus to using both hands. btw i did do a small check nothing turned up, it might of been asked b4 and i was searching with the wrong word.
If life were like DF, Toady's strange mood would have produced an Artifact Game of Awesome that menaces with spikes of code ten years ago.  
But it is not.
Instead, what we have is a single obsessive mason trying to carve Mt. Rushmore.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 11:28:37 pm »

I seem to recall that there are no bonuses to using two hands, only penalties to wielding an otherwise two-handed weapon in one hand. Your best bet, I think, would be to play around with it and see if you see a difference in how frequently you land a blow/how damaging your hits are.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 11:34:17 am »

in my experience multigrasp weapons (2 hand swords etc), tend to have higher penetration values in their raws than standard 1 hand equivalents - This may not always be the case (if at all...).
What about if you're big enough to hold a two-handed sword in one hand, or too small to hold a longsword in one hand?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.