Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves in my guard tower report "no reachable valid target"  (Read 1612 times)

Tonren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I built a guard tower with fortifications on the second floor. The goblins are hanging out 13 tiles north of the tower. There is a dwarf standing in front of a fortification on the northern side. There is a bronze crossbow in his inventory. I used the "s" squad screen to individually assign him a kill order targeting a goblin standing exactly 13 tiles north and 1 z-level down from his position, but his job stays as "Soldier (no reachable valid target)".

Any ideas?

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves in my guard tower report "no reachable valid target"
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 02:37:46 am »

does he have bolts and a quiver

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 06:29:16 am »

kill orders tell your soldiers to kill in melee. marksdwarfs too go and bash with their crossbows instead of shooting. If the gate is closed and he can't reach them, well, no valid target. A simple station order should get him to notice them and shoot at them, as long as the other various conditions are met, such as the right equipment, line of sight, next to fortifications for non-elite marksdwarfs, things like that.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tonren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:24:10 pm »

kill orders tell your soldiers to kill in melee. marksdwarfs too go and bash with their crossbows instead of shooting. If the gate is closed and he can't reach them, well, no valid target. A simple station order should get him to notice them and shoot at them, as long as the other various conditions are met, such as the right equipment, line of sight, next to fortifications for non-elite marksdwarfs, things like that.

I've tried stationing as well. Even standing next to the fortification with a station order, he just stands there not firing.

does he have bolts and a quiver

How can you tell whether someone's quiver has bolts in it?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 12:26:32 pm »

Highlight it in the dwarf's inventory and press Enter.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tonren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 12:58:10 pm »

Highlight it in the dwarf's inventory and press Enter.

Oh crap. I was afraid that would be the answer. I don't see any reference to ammo in the quiver's details screen.

Sigh...

Shouldn't the error message be "insufficient ammo" like for hunters? Or is that just foolish "expecting everything to work in a logical way" nonsense that I should know better than by now?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 01:03:51 pm »

That would be logical... one time. I don't know how the game would determine how often it needs to tell you that the marksdwarves are out of bolts. Do hunters spam 'cancels Hunt: no ammo' every time they try and take the job?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tonren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 01:11:03 pm »

That would be logical... one time. I don't know how the game would determine how often it needs to tell you that the marksdwarves are out of bolts. Do hunters spam 'cancels Hunt: no ammo' every time they try and take the job?

Don't they?

(Serious question. I thought they did.)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 04:41:53 pm »

noone tells you they're out of ammo, you're supposed to keep an eye on it yourself. Maybe dfhack workflow orders can make sure of a steady supply
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 05:01:24 pm »

Hunters give you one "Nimrod Ibn Hunter cancels Hunt: out of ammo." notice once they emptied their quiver (into a chinchilla) and need to refill. I don't think they give you a notice when they can't _start_ hunting because the fort's out of bolts.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 05:33:00 pm »

well, marksdwarfs don't