Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inactive Wall Constructions  (Read 388 times)

Mythalinear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Inactive Wall Constructions
« on: October 13, 2013, 12:41:34 pm »

I often have problems when I try to build any sort of dwarfy constructions involving walls. There always seems to be one or two sections that simply refuse to build. They stay inactive and nothing I can do will convince the masons to build them. What is going on and how do I fix it?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Inactive Wall Constructions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 01:10:26 pm »

things get done last in first out. If you keep adding new work they'll do that first before returning to the old ones. Also check if they're not suspended and are reachable
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 01:12:33 pm »

Well, that depends.

First see if the job for the wall was suspended. Then use 'q' to look at the wall, then unsuspend the job. This works most of the time.
However, if the reason the wall was suspended was because the silly dwarf was standing on the spot while constructing it (this happens all too often), then you have to go further. Try one of the following.

1. Cancel the wall segment entirely, then redesignate it. This will usually fix the problem.
2. Remove adjacent wall segments, then attempt to construct the problem segment again.
3. Use traffic designations to encourage the dwarf to stand on the correct spot to build the wall. (Make the wall segment restricted traffic along with the immediate surrounding tiles with the exception of the tile you want the dwarf to stand on).

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 02:43:00 pm »

once you get a handle on what 'tempts' the dwarf to stand in wrong place, planning ahead and building in a specific order can help
Ellipsis free since August 2013.