Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chickens for their.... loyalty?  (Read 1493 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Chickens for their.... loyalty?
« on: November 27, 2013, 07:07:09 pm »

I'm sure you might have heard of dogs recently who either won't leave their former owner's grave, or who leave only to return.  All day, every day.  Well, Mebdtoth the Chicken does this.  her owner was a newly adult dwarfette, whom had just become mayor.  In the interest of having a happy mayor, I made a hen available for adoption (she liked chickens for their clucking).

Mayor Catten was killed by a berserk dwarf during The Great Thirst, and when the dust settled, she was promptly put in a coffin.  From that day to this, Mebdtoth sits on or near her coffin, all day, every day, leaving only to eat or drink and lay eggs.  Then she resumes her vigil, waiting for the day that her dwarf friend comes out to play again.

I've never seen a pet or even other dwarves do this before.  Have you? 
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
Re: Chickens for their.... loyalty?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 07:23:59 pm »

I think there was a story about a pet war tiger behaving similarly on that one Dwarf Fortress Stories site?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 07:30:19 pm »

I think there was a story about a pet war tiger behaving similarly on that one Dwarf Fortress Stories site?

I'lll need to go and look!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 07:47:22 pm »

This story comes to mind immediately.  It's actually quite touching.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 09:16:06 pm »

As awesome as it would be if this was intended, I believe Toady made mention to the original story as a bug that actually seems like a feature in one of the DFtalks. Stil cool nonetheless ^^

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 03:11:33 am »

When I saw the thread's name, I was sure you found a dwarf that likes chickiens for their loyalty, and I was all happy, "maybe Toady put a Scootaloo reference here!"

Ror, nopu
But still cool.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 04:01:02 am »

These are the new style of forum spambots.  Quite clever.
But to what end? To lure us into a false sense of security?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Cereus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 05:51:22 am »

I've noticed this with a few of my war dire wolves. Left to their own devices, they will always choose to stay by the spot where their owner died, even if it means going around a horde of zombies. It's especially sad to see when there's ghosts about and the wolves seem to be keeping them company on their haunt.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 07:04:44 am »

I had a pet sow who at some point started sitting in one place where i'd had a minor magma mishap. A few weeks after she'd started that, she got company by a forlorn haunt...

It turned out that her master had gotten killed in the accident and the body probably got destroyed (unsurprisingly, since it was a magma accident). Putting up a slab took care of the ghost, but the pet kept re-visiting the place. I didn't interfere with it, she was pretty old and died by herself not much later; and i found it a heartwarming example of pet loyalty.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 10:59:26 am »

I've been here since 2009, if I'm a spambot, then I'm a damned persistent and very Dwarf Fortress focused one :D

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 11:18:13 am »

I've been here since 2009, if I'm a spambot, then I'm a damned persistent and very Dwarf Fortress focused one :D

Your post wasn't the message I was referring to; it has since been removed.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 05:52:47 pm »

Your post wasn't the message I was referring to; it has since been removed.

My bad,  Hadn't coffee yet, which I need to get through the working day.