Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upright Spike traps and horizontal momentum questions  (Read 471 times)

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Upright Spike traps and horizontal momentum questions
« on: October 10, 2013, 08:25:06 am »

I searched the wiki and did not find any information there regarding these questions.

1. If a creature has horizontal momentum and 'collides' with a spike trap, will they be impaled? Or will them colliding with it sideways be no more deadly than them simply colliding with a normal wall?

2. If a minecart enters (or tries to enter) a tile with raised spikes while it has horizontal momentum, how do the spikes affect the minecart?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Upright Spike traps and horizontal momentum questions
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 04:40:41 pm »

I don't remember anyone ever posting about this. I'm assuming it used to be 'no' however with the newish skidding and bouncing the spikes might cause some damage. Try it and tell us? On the other hand, dwarfs moving through a tile with raised spikes don't slow down, so I'd definately say no to movement impeded by them, minecart or otherwise, and also a 'no' to a sideways collision with the spikes. The only thing I can think of is skidding or bouncing on a spiky tile. I don't know any of this for sure though. The more creative and science oriented people also tend to hang out a bit more at the dwarf mode discussion part of the forum. If you don't get a better answer here, you might try your luck there.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 04:53:04 pm »

I had a completely idiotic combination trap consisting of cave-in pillars and upright spears/spikes once, and the spears kept giving "the spinning *silver menacing spike* strikes the <beast>, but the attack has no force!"

So i guess they don't do much. I didn't pay much attention, mind. Seems you'll have to go and try it out yourself.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 02:32:12 am »

silver is one of the worst materials for the spikes though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.